Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Operating System

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MARYBOO

MARYBOO

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Which processes can I end to make my computer run faster?
I am showing a lot of processes running on my computer.
Where I used to work, we were told to end certain processes that were from previous log-in attempts.
Please let me know if there are ways to know which ones I shouldn't end and which ones I should.
I do not want to mess up anything that is important. Thank you for any help.
6 days ago - 7 hours left for voting

I messed it up. I deleted some of my processes that were under my name. Now that task bar and icons are gone. I only have my wallpaper showing.

I shut the computer down to restart it, hoping that it would reset normally, but I can't get it to come back on. (I am at a local library now.)

I was given my computer by a relative who only used it for games and didn't have the internet.
Whenever you turned it on, it would say, "Operating System cannot be found". You could turn it off and back on again, then it would come on. Recently, I had it professionally "cleaned out" down to my Windows XP after I got high speed internet, to try to get it to run faster. After I got it home, it had this problem. I tried to get it to boot up all evening and the next morning before it finally "found" it and came on. I have left it turned on ever since then. Since I had to turn it off today, I have been trying and trying, but it hasn't worked yet. Is there something else I need fixed, too

Advertisements

carogator

carogator

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Got a friend with that problem. Using Roadrunner on Time-Warner. Had her shut down computer, disconnect ethernet cable. Started up computer and used a program (any one) then shut down and reconnected ethernet cable. Restarted and working fine now.
Might work for you. Good luck.
Also added and used Malwarebytes and Super-anti-spyware Professional to clean up 573 infected files. I know that had to help.

Edited by carogator, 23 March 2010 - 09:23 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Closed.

Duplicate topic. See here: http://www.geekstogo...NK-t274869.html