Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Our tax $ at work...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Recently Michelle Obama went to serve food to the homeless at a government funded soup kitchen

Posted Image

Cost of a bowl of soup at homeless shelter $0.00 dollars
Having Michelle Obama Serve you your soup $0.00 dollars
Snapping a picture of a homeless person who is receiving government funded meal while taking a picture of the first lady using his $500 Black Berry cell phone $$$$ Priceless

Can you say CHEESE????

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Wow.. Just wow..

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I do not know what to say...I am speechless here. (what the heck)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

(what the heck)

I agree... :)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I tend to lean towards feeding the hungry and healing the sick but my wife and I both work, after paying rent and utilities we have to watch our money so that we can buy luxury items like paper towels and laundry soap.
It is not that this person has a $500.00 phone, but also pays the monthly service on it! Amazing!

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Maybe, just maybe, we are all jumping to the wrong conclusion here. It is very possible that the phone belongs to her. She may have asked him to take a photo of her serving the homeless, because, really, who is ever going to believe her otherwise? :)

El

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You are most likely correct because the serious looking man with his hand on his gun would not like some one just pointing some thing at the first lady.

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
Obviously, they didn't have any reporters there to take pictures, huh?
Surely, they had at least one. The one, who took a picture of a guy using the phone.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
That is ridiculous. A blackberry in a soup kitchen do not mix. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Maybe he won it?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
Yeah...raffle...LOL

Edited by Broni, 30 May 2009 - 02:46 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Maybe he won it?

Maybe he "borrowed" it?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I'll remind everyone that discussions of politics are not allowed here at GTG. I will leave this thread open for now, but I strongly encourage all of you to keep this policy in mind when/if replying.

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Well, since someone in another thread pointed me to this one, I guess I'll put my 2 cents in here... (please remember, I did just acknowledge that my opinion is probably worth about 2 cents ;> )

Snapping a picture of a homeless person who is receiving government funded meal while taking a picture of the first lady using his $500 Black Berry cell phone $$$$ Priceless

It would be VERY interesting to get the true facts of what this picture actually portrays. I can tell you from personal experience, that is, the experience of someone who has actually lived in a homeless shelter, there are plenty of people in that system that make it a way of life. So, yes, he may indeed be a mooch off "the system". However, there are also those of us who used it for exactly what we needed it for that the time: A "hand up" out of a hard time instead of a "hand out" into a way of life. Having been there myself, I actually can offer at least a couple of plausible explanations for why this gentleman has a $500 blackberry in a homeless shelter. But, first, I have lots of questions.

[*] Out of respect for the warning that's been given, I won't spell out this particular possibility because it toes ever-so-lightly on the boundary of politics.

[*] Is there some evidence that this is indeed HIS blackberry?

[*] Is there some evidence that he is a homeless person "receiving a meal". I don't see anyone in this photo handing him a meal. Maybe he just took that position to get a good shot.

As far as alternative explanations, here are two, right of the top of my head:

[*] It is a fact that it is not uncommon for "do-gooders" to show up at homeless shelters and offer people free calls from cell phones in order to help them connect with loved one who are "long distance" from the shelter's phone or perhaps to connect with possible "long distance" opportunities to get back on their feet. They actually show up with notebooks where the person the phone is "loaned to" writes down their name and the number they are calling so that the "do-gooder" can write off the expense as a charity. Maybe this man is one of those "do-gooders". Maybe he's just someone who was using the phone of one of these "do-gooders" and said "Hey, man, while I have your phone, I'm going to take a picture of Michelle Obama."

[*] We don't know the circumstances of this man's homelessness. Did anyone here ever see the movie "Pursuit of Happiness"? If you hadn't actually seen the movie and you had actually known what the piece of equipment Will Smith's character was hauling around was, would you have been inclined to say, "How can a man who could afford piece of equipment worth thousands of dollars stand in line at a shelter asking for a handout of a bed and food?" The fact is he had that piece of equipment before he got homeless. If this is his phone, maybe he got it before he got homeless. Maybe there is no service on the phone. I don't think that would keep him from taking a picture with it. Maybe there is service on the phone but it's going to run out in a month because he just got homeless. Maybe he's been homeless for months but he lives in a state where blood banks will pay for a donation and he's going to the blood bank on a regular basis to pay for the service so he can use it to continue to look for a job and increase his odds of actually getting one because he has a means of receiving contact from potential employers. There really are boocoo possibilities, here.

Oh, and lest I sound a bit soap-boxy and over-righteous here, regardless of what the actual circumstances really are, the OP's take on it was certainly funny.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Is there some evidence that he is a homeless person "receiving a meal". I don't see anyone in this photo handing him a meal. Maybe he just took that position to get a good shot.

This is what I was thinking. I'd walk into a homeless shelter with my phone/camera if I heard Michelle Obama was inside handing out meals. I'd probably walk in there if it were anyone I've seen on the telly.

The soup would just be a bonus.

Edited by sarahw, 01 June 2009 - 12:08 PM.