Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezes

• Please log in to reply

sam-my

sam-my

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Computer: Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 3GHz 768 MB of RAM
System: Windows XP Pro

My computer freezes frequently, and especially when it is under a certain "laod" level.

When the PC is at rest or when surfing over the net, CPU temperature is around 46C to 48C, but when I try for example to scan the PC using EWIDO, NOD32, etc the temperature jumps to around 62oC as soon as this software's window appears on the screen.
During the scan, CPU temperature fluctuates between 59C to 68C and after some 20-25minutes, the PC generally freezes.
When during this scan I'am trying to download a program or software, th PC freezes after 1-2 minutes.

I would like to point out that the PC is dust-free (I use to clean it about once a month) and I operate it with one side off all the time with also a small table-fan operating next to the computer. Even though, the CPU temperature remains high.
All fans seems OK.
PC seems to be virus/malware free :Ewido, Nod32, Spysweeper are finding only cookies from time to time. HD is defragmented.

I have 3 RAM sticks "each stick @ 256MB" and 1 empty slot.
My mobo is not set up to run in dual channel
( Motherboard :Gigabyte GA-8I865P(-G)

I run CRUCIAL System scanner and confirm the above:
Currently Installed Memory : 768 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096 MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 1

Sometimes (not very often) I got also the blue screen of death with:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer…..
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC1D0131C, 0x00000000, 0x804E8D6A, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory

Six months ago I had a similar issue . I stripped down the CPU fan and heat sink , gave them a good clean and reinstall them using thermal grease. I have also fixed an extra fan (12 centimeters) on the side panel. This seemed to solve the issue for approx. 5 months.

Following advices in other threads I just downloaded Memtest86 3.2 on a disk and will ran it during the weekend.

Any help that you can give me would be highly appreciated.

Note: While writting this thread temperatures were as follows (using EVEREST):
Motherboard: 25C, CPU: 45C; Aux: 25C and HD: 31C

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well how is the rest of your cases cooling set-up?

for exampe teh best thing to have is a slight negative pressure which basically means more output that input
i no this sounds weird but its the best thing for it.
what type of case do you have?

plus where do you have the computer sitting for example is it in a desk where it is confined or what?

if your getting really really high temps (which you are) and your case is configuered as much as it can with air fans then maybe you might consider liquid cooling as a last option

troppo

sam-my

sam-my

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks Troppo
The PC is not in a confined area.
as i mentioned the left side panel is removed and a "table fan" (12 inches diameter) is puching air thru the open side.

I just performed a test using Speedfan and the results were:
All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

The overall fitness for this drive is 90%.
The overall performance for this drive is 96%.

I performed also tests using Memtest86, but the PC freezed after 4.57 minutes while running Test#5 [Block Move,64 moves] at Test 5% and Pass: 34%
After a second attempt, the PC feezed again at the same position after 4.57 minutes.
at the third attempt, it freezed again at the same position, after 4.58 minutes. :whistling:

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Perhaps you should move the RAM around, re-test and see if it freezes at the same point. If it freezes at a different point, probably indicates you have some bad RAM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well it is starting to sound like you have bad memory but you will have to do somehting about the heat of your CPU it is to hot and you could do damage to your PC. how (normally) is the pc set-up?

if i was you i might be looking to invest in water cooling your temps are really really high when you put together the system did you apply the thermal compund in the correct way? i would suggest going out and getting some artic silver 5 and replace the thermal compound that is already on there (or the thermal pad)

see if we can get teh temos down a bit then work out the memory problems

troppo