Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Installing Windows XP Pro SP2

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm trying to install XP Pro SP2 on an old machine of mine, which meets all system requirements. The CD is a brand-new OEM version of XP Pro SP2. It is properly recognized when inserted into a working computer. When booting from the CD, when it gets to the point of loading "Kernel Debugger DLL", I get the error message of "Setupdd.sys could not be loaded. Error code 7." Apparently, this is due to faulty hardware (usually RAM), but I've run MemTest and got no errors, I've successfully installed Ubuntu, I've removed all peripheral cards, and I've tried removing all but one stick of RAM and I've tried it in all slots, but still no luck.

Any idea how to fix this?

Edited by stettybet0, 09 March 2008 - 02:08 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
That error is definitely a hardware problem -- bad ram, failing hard disk, or a faulty expansion card.

memtest has to be run for several hours to get accurate results, the longer the better, so it could still be the ram. The only definitive way to confirm this is to fit new ram. Just buy the minimum that XP needs to run (realistically 128MB, and try that).

The hard disk is also a possible candidate. You can download a diagnostic tool from the hard disk manufacturer's website. This creates a bootable floppy or cd which you boot the PC from.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since you also had problems trying to install W2K on this same system and you've eliminated most everything else, it's time to try a different CD drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried setting the BIOS failsafe defaults or resetting the CMOS? I've seen bad BIOS settings cause this error.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've installed Ubuntu several times successfully from this CD-ROM drive.

My computer has 2 RAM slots. I have 2 brand new 256MB sticks, 1 old 128MB stick, and 1 old 64MB stick. I've tried all of them in every possible combination. All of them have passed MemTest run overnight (~10 hours).

Keep in mind that I tried removing all expansion cards, and I also ran a hard drive checking utility successfully. The hard drive is blank (just DBANed it).

Thanks for the help so far though.

EDIT: Yes, wannabe1, I've flashed to the latest BIOS and reset the CMOS.

Edited by stettybet0, 09 March 2008 - 10:48 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that the new xp disk is faulty. The fact that it's recognized on another computer doesn't exclude the possibility that some installation files are corrupted. Try the installation on another computer and see if it works. Obviously, quit installation when you get to the screen that gives you three choices of installation of XP, recovery console or installation cancellation.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That was a very good idea, The Skeptic, thanks. When booting from the XP CD on my other computer, it works fine. So I guess it must be something wrong with the hardware. But what? A possibly related occurrence: sometimes when booting up the computer I get no output to the monitor. This happens seemingly at random, and it happens if I use a PCI graphics card or the onboard graphics.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It certainly looks like a hardware problem. XP installation requires that the system be in very good shape. I have seen computers that worked perfectly but failed during xp installation. Usually the problem was either with the motherboard or the cpu. Please do the following:

1: Take out the add-on video card and connect the monitor to the on-board card.

2: Clear the cmos by disconnecting the power cable and taking the battery out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall, boot and set time and date.

3: Memory test. From my list of links below use Microsoft Memory diagnostic tool. Follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the CD in place and let the program run for some 30 minutes. Please report if there are any errors recorded.

3: Complete scan of the hard disk. Look at the manufacturer's name on the disk and download it's diagnostic program. Create a bootable cd and run a complete scan (not quick) of the hard disk. Please report the results. If you want us to help you with a link write down the the manufacturer's name.

4: If the two tests passed without problems then take the hard disk out and connect it as slave to another computer. Open My Computer, right-click the icon of the faulty drive and choose to format (I assume that you backed-up your valuable data). When finished formatting take the disk back to the first computer and try re-installation of XP.

5: If still no good then try try to replace the power supply unit. If possible, dismantle a psu from a good computer and install temporarily in the other computer. Try xp installation.

If still no good then there is a good chance that the motherboard or cpu or both are faulty.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
1. Already done.
2. Already done.
3. Already done.
3 (you put 3 twice :)). Already done.
4. I've tried with the disk unformatted (ran DBAN on it), FAT32 formatted, and NTFS formatted, with no luck with any of them.
5. I don't have a spare PSU, but again, I've been able to successfully install Ubuntu and a faulty PSU (or anything else for that matter) probably wouldn't only affect XP.

What else I've done:
  • Tried a different CD-ROM drive.
  • Tried a different CPU.
  • Tried a different hard drive.
None of these have solved my problem though. :)

Edited by stettybet0, 09 March 2008 - 04:05 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like you need to try a new computer case, you've replaced everything else :)

Actually, about all that's left is the motherboard and the CPU, so if you happen to have a spare case laying around that has one of each already installed ... :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
:)

I guess you missed it, but I said I've already tried a new CPU. I guess that leaves the mobo, but I'm curious as to why Ubuntu works fine then... Perhaps XP just doesn't like my hardware configuration, even though there isn't necessarily anything wrong with it?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One last thing to try. When you are installing XP, at the point where you get the "Press F6 to install ..." message, press F7 (yes F7). This loads a different HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310064

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Nope, still no luck. Tried F5 too. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It's one of these marginal, yet crucial problems, that leaves you uncertain about the source of the problem. Had I been in your position I would try another psu as a first step, even If I have to buy a new one. Where I live a generic psu costs less then 20$. I use them all the time and I don't bother to spend extra money on fancy brad names. The service that I get from these generic is just as good.

If that doesn't help I would replace the motherboard.