Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Program is too big to fit memory" error message/virus [Clos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maude24

maude24

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I left my computer on overnight and this morning when I woke it up, all of my icons were highlighted.

When I click on any icon or try opening any program from the start menu, a black box pops up that says "Program is too big to fit memory'' and then the box disappears.

The only thing I can open using a desktop icon is my My Documents folder. I can open a word document from there, but I can't open Word on my desktop. I can open Firefox by going to Favorites in My Documents and clicking a website, but double clicking on a Firefox icon won't open Firefox.

I tried running Housecall which found a virus it couldn't get rid of (I can't remember what it sad, sorry). Nothing else (Malwarebytes, system restore) will even run so I haven't tried anything else yet.

Help?

Thanks

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello maude24,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

Have you tried starting your computer in Safe Mode?

If not, disconnect from the internet and see if you can start in safe mode. Then see if you can run Malwarebytes from there.

Boot into Safe Mode:

1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap F8 continually.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Let me know how you get on.

maude24

maude24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Emerald

Windows won't start in safe mode, it shuts itself down.

All anti-malware that I already had downloaded on my computer has been disabled. (Exe. files have disappeared from the Program Files)

No exe files will run (I get a black Dos box that pops up and disappears with the Program Too Big...error)

From Firefox, I can download Malwarebytes, etc., but I can't run it. (same black Dos box) I tried renaming the installer while downloaded and saving to different locations with the same result.

From IE7, if I try to go to anti-virus sites, I get the MS antivirus popup ads and have to shut my computer down completely to get rid of them.

I'm going to try a recovery boot disk and see if that works unless someone here has a suggestion other than a hammer and whiskey.

Thanks for your help.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Seeing we can't run the tools let's see if we can get some information another way.

See if you can run a batch file. If not we could try the Avira rescue system but I will save that for next post if necessary.

Please run the following batch file:

Look.bat

• Open Notepad by clicking Start>Run, type in Notepad then click OK
  • Copy the contents of the Code Box below to Notepad
  • Name the file as Look.bat
  • Change the Save as Type to All Files
  • Save the file to your Desktop

@ECHO OFF
DIR /a/s C:\WINDOWS\scecli.dll C:\WINDOWS\netlogon.dll C:\WINDOWS\ntelogon.dll >Log.txt
START Log.txt
DEL %0

Double click on the Look.bat. A window will open and close. This is normal.
It will produce log file named log.txt on your desktop. Post the contents of the file in your next reply.

maude24

maude24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello again

I got as far as Start_Run_type in Notedpad_enter. After I hit enter I got the same black dos box and then nothing happens.

I tried running Avira. It did finish scanning and right when it completed, a bunch of antivirus pop ups covered the screen and my computer froze so I wasn't able to scroll down the list to see what I had, but the list was long - about 23 "bad things" were found.

Thanks again

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello maude24,

Seeing you managed to get Avira to run, let's see if you can run this one:

Please download Win32kDiag.exe to your Desktop.

Double-click to run it.

A log should appear when it is finished.

Copy and paste back here.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.