Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RASMAN problem: access denied

• Please log in to reply

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi There.

Thanks for the help.

I have a Dell laptop with XP PRO that went from stable to haywire after I treid installing a Linksys wireless card last week.

For example, when I would try to click on IIS Admin under SErvices, the management console would freeze. Also, whenever I would try to shut down my computer would prompt me to save a .msc file somewhere. In addition, I could no longer serve my own pages on the local intranet, though I did have internet browsing.

I had tried everything I could think of - uninstalling the wireless card did nothing, restarting the services, nothing, even system restore did not work. According to Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Norton's I am virus and malware free.

So I used the XP repair as outlined in the XP forum, and it seemed to wrk fine. But before I tried to connect to the internet to retrieve all microsfot's updates, I treid to turn on the firewall and nothing!
"Windows cannot start the ...Firewall Service"

Similar messages for the Securit Center and when I try to manually turn on the firewall for my Local Area Connection. ("An error occurred while Internet COnnection was being enabled")

In the Event Viewer>System the most confusing error is "Remote Access Connection Manager terminated with the following error: Access is denied"

Anybody have a guess as to what might be up?
Thanks geeks.
-George

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One problem you may be having concerns the fact that to use remote login to control your router setup you must change the username and password from the default one. And you have to do that with a "hard" cable connection. This is to prevent hackers using wirefless from getting into your router.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Just a tip form experiance, I can not get mine to work execpt with a fresh install of XP, and alsoif format I have to take the card out first other wise it never work as well. Try the repair again but first uninstall and remove the card and then put in back in and install it.

And also the windows firewall is not worth useing get something like Kerio personal firewall. Link in signature.

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for getting back to me!

I had uninstalled the card (as far as I know!) before the last XP Repair, but that's when the new problems started. For now, I am bagging the wireless card ... I just want to get my computer back to stable!

I will take your advice about the firewall! I got Zone ALarm, but I'll try Kerio.

ANother weird thing that is happening is that if I do connect to the internet, I cannot get onto the Microsoft site for the updates... Other sites work fine, and the Updates site works cool on my other computer.

I suppose I will try another Repair now and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
-George

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ALso, here's another error message from the Event Viewer System Log I have been getting:

Remote Access COnnection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied."

Thanks,
Nick

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

ALso, here's another error message from the Event Viewer System Log I have been getting:

Remote Access COnnection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied."

Thanks,
Nick

View Post

What kind of network card/device is in the machine? A few of them, the DFE530tx+ is notable, require direct memory access.

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well I have basically given up on the wireless card until I get my computer running normally again, but it's a Linksys Wireless G Notebook Adapter

Update on CPU progress:
I finally was able to connect to the update site (I had to configure my firewall to allow ActiveX ... silly me!) and it seems ot have worked okay. My computer is running a bit slower than normal, but one thing is unusual: my USB ports no longer work after the service pack 2 upgrade.

Does anyone know of a way to jumpstart your USB ports?

Thanks Tyger.
George (aka Nick)

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
This is weird. I get nothing from my USB ports since I installed the SP2...