Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat and Install of Windows

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If your system is listed here then there is a restore to factory settings function. The links are clickable

DELL

LENOVO (IBM)

ACER This will download the E-Recovery Zip file. Unzip then run

So you are going to reformat and re-install Windows ?

Preparation is the secret to success so we shall start there :

PREPARATION

1. Ensure you have the following discs
A. Operating System disc or Manufacturers recovery disc.
B. Windows KEY found either in the disc holder for the Windows CD or in a sticker on the side of your system
C. Motherboard drivers disc.
D ISP disc with Modem/DSL drivers and setup.
E. Programme installation discs (i.e. Word, Photo editing etc.) If you have no discs but downloaded them from the Internet then see below.

If you cannot find your windows key on your computer or paperwork , then do the following :

To get your XP Key download to your desktop keyfinder.zip Extract the files and run Keyfinder this will then locate and display the registration number, either print it out or copy it down ensuring that the details are correct

2. Things to back up for an easy transition. First create a BACKUP folder on your desktop with the following subfolders :

MAIL
VIDEOS/MUSIC/PICTURES
DOCS
LICENCES
PROGRAMMES

To create one on your desktop right click a blank space > select NEW > select FOLDER. To create subfolders open the backup folder and on the file menu select new folder

How to back up Outlook Express items

Step 1: Copy message files to the backup folder

Step A: Locate the Store folder

1. Start Outlook Express.
2. Click Tools, and then click Options.
3. On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
4. In the Store Location dialog box, copy the store location. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Put the mouse pointer at one end of the box under the Your personal message store is located in the following folder box.
b. Press and hold the left mouse button, and then drag the mouse pointer across the Your personal message store is located in the following folder box.
c. Press CTRL+C to copy the location.
5. Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.

Step B: Copy the contents of the Store folder

1. Click Start, click Run, press CTRL+V, and then click OK.
2. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
3. On the Edit menu, click Copy, and then close the window.

Step C: Paste the contents of the Store folder into the backup folder
1. Double-click the Mail Backup folder to open it.
2. Right-click inside the Mail Backup folder window, and then click Paste.

Step 2: Export the Address Book to a .csv file

Important Make sure that you follow this step if you use multiple identities in Outlook Express.

Microsoft Outlook Express 5.x and Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 use a Windows Address Book (.wab) file to store Address Book data. The individual data for each identity is stored in a folder by user name within the .wab file that is used.

The only way to separate the Address Book data for different identities is to export the data to a .csv file while you are logged in as a specific identity. If the .wab file becomes dissociated from the user identities, the data can be exported only as one total. In this case, the data cannot be exported folder by folder.

There is another reason to export the .wab file to a .csv file. If the .wab file not exported to a .csv file, but the .wab file is shared with Microsoft Outlook, the addresses are stored in the personal folders (.pst) file in Outlook. When you export the file to a .csv file by using the File menu in Outlook Express, the correct contacts are exported. However, if the Address Book is shared with Outlook, you cannot use the File menu option to export from the Address Book. This option is unavailable.

To export the Address Book to a .csv file, follow these steps:

1. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
3. Click Browse.
4. Select the Mail Backup folder that you created.
5. In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
6. Click Next.
7. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
8. Click OK, and then click Close.

Step 3: Export the mail account to a file

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. On the Mail tab, click the mail account that you want to export, and then click Export.
3. In the Save In box, select the Mail Backup folder, and then click Save.
4. Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to export.
5. Click Close.

Step 4: Export the newsgroup account to a file

2. On the News tab, click the news account that you want to export, and then click Export.
3. In the Save In box, select the Mail Backup folder, and then click Save.
4. Repeat these steps for each news account that you want to export.
5. Click Close.

Favourites/bookmarks

To export the Favorites folder, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer
2. On the File menu, click Import and Export, and then click Next.
3. Click Export Favorites and then click Next.
4. Click Favorites and then click Next.
5. Type the name of the file that you want to export the favorites to. By default, the export file is named Bookmark.htm.
6. Select the folder to backup in as your newly created one
7. Click Next and then click Finish.

Personal Documents

1. Open your document processing programme
2. Select options
3. Generally there will be the option to select your save folder
4. Change this to the backup subfolder
5. Save all your files to this location

Videos/Pictures

1. Right click your music file folder(s) and select copy
2. Right click the backup folder and select paste
3. Repeat until all folders are copied to the backup folder

Licence numbers from installed software

1. Start each programme that you have a licence for
2. In the main menu select HELP > ABOUT
3. Generally this is where you will find your licence key
4. Copy the key to a text file along with the programme name and save to the backup folder
Posted Image

Latest version of your Anti-virus and Firewall

Download the latest version from the website and save to your backup folder

Download all installed programmes that you wish to keep and do not have disc for

Download the latest version from the website and save to your backup folder

Now you have completed that you will need to copy the entire contents of your new folder to one of the following : USB stick or CD/DVD disc

To do this right click the backup folder and select copy
Then right click the drive (CD or USB) that you are saving to and select paste

FORMATING PARTITIONING AND INSTALLING

This will totally wipe your hard drive and re-install a fresh copy of Windows. Depending on the original version you have you may need to download SP2, and you will definitely need all the windows updates. To this end you will need to install your Antivirus and Firewall before even attempting to go online.

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer and restart your computer.

2. If prompted to start from the CD, press SPACEBAR. If you miss the prompt (it only appears for a few seconds), restart your computer to try again.

3. Windows XP Setup begins. During this portion of setup, your mouse will not work, so you must use the keyboard and it should preferebly be a PS2 keyboard s your USB ports may not be operational.

4. On the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.
Posted Image

5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement page, read the licensing agreement. Press the PAGE DOWN key to scroll to the bottom of the agreement. Then press F8.
Posted Image

6. This page enables you to select the hard disk drive on which Windows XP will be installed. Once you complete this step, all data on your hard disk drive will be removed and cannot be recovered. This will initially show your current Windows installation. Press D to delete the partion , and then press L when prompted. This deletes your existing data.
Posted Image

7. This page will be where you now format your hard drive after the deletion of old Windows. Select the option shown
Posted Image

8. You will now see a progress bar as the disc is formated, go for a cup of tea as this will take a while.
Posted Image

9. Now you will need to set up your keyboard for the right language and currency
Posted Image

10. This is where you will enter your product key. This will be with the install disc or on a sticker on the side of your system
Posted Image

11.When you reach this stage then say activate later as we do not wish to go online yet.
Posted Image

12. Again leave this one for now we will register later
Posted Image

13. On this page set up the users that will be on your system
Posted Image

14. The system will now continue to load and you now have a clean system

PREPARATION FOR FIRST USE

1. If you need SP2 then insert the disc and install now, following the prompts

2. From your backup disc install the following:

a. Antivirus
b. Firewall

You will need to reboot for both programmes.

3. Install any required motherboard drivers (e.g. wireless etc.)

4. Install any required programmes from Disc or the backup folder.

5. Install your ISP disc if that is required to get you online.

6. Go online and Update :

a. Your Antivirus
b. Windows

NOW REINSTALL YOUR E_MAIL SETTINGS

How to restore Outlook Express items

Note To restore items when you use multiple identities in Outlook Express, you may have to re-create the identities before you follow these steps. Repeat each step as needed for each identity.

Step 1: Import messages from the backup folder

1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
4. Click Browse, and then click the Mail Backup folder.
5. Click OK, and then click Next.
6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Step 2: Import the Address Book file

1. On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
3. Click Browse.
4. Select the Mail Backup folder, click the address book backup.csv file, and then click Open.
5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK, and then click Close.

Step 3: Import the mail account file

2. On the Mail tab, click Import.
3. In the Look In box, select the Mail Backup folder.
4. Click the mail account that you want to import, and then click Open.
5. Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to import.
6. Click Close.

Step 4: Import the newsgroup account file

2. On the News tab, click Import.
3. In the Look In box, select the Mail Backup folder.
4. Click the news account that you want to import, and then click Open.
5. Repeat these steps for each news account that you want to import.
6. Click Close.

Import Favorites to Internet Explorer 6

1. In Internet Explorer 6, click File , and then click Import.....Export
2. In the Import/Export Wizard, click Next.
3. Select Import Favorites, and then click Next.

Note By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. However, you can import favorites that are saved under another name. To do this, click Browse, select a file or type a location and file name, and then click Next. Alternatively, click Browse, and then click Next to accept the default.

4. Select the folder where you want to put the imported bookmarks, and then click Next.
5. Click Finish.

Edited by Essexboy, 04 May 2009 - 04:09 AM.
Added Keyfinder

Advertisements

diehackersdie

diehackersdie

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
my cpu is compaq and it didnt come with a windows install disk. also this hijacker deleted all of my backup restore points. im at a loss on what to do ive ran almost every scan possible on my cpu and nothing seems to work. i even tried windows live onecure and it couldnt fix the problem either. what to do what to do what to do. guess ill just shoot this cpu with my shotgun and never buy another 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

nismo180sx

nismo180sx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey essexboy
i have 2 laptops:
HP Pavilion Dv6700 (came with Vista Home Premium)
Acer Travelmate 4060 (came with XP Pro)

I want to reinstall windows XP Pro on the Acer Travelmate 4060 and want to install Vista Home Premium on the HP Pavilion DV6700 but i have no windows cd's for either computers. i didn't even get a Recovery cd for the Hp Pavilion DV6700. But with the Acer Travelmate 4060, i got 3 revovery disc's (recovery cd (1) recovery cd (2) recovery cd (3)) and a System cd. So i though id give the Acer a go. I booted from the System cd and i got to a page where i was prompted with Resotre to Factory setting. But i want to Reinstall windows as i have a mean virus on there, and windows hasn't been wiped in over a year , i dont want to resotre to factory settings. and with my Hp pavilion i just got no idea where to start with this one.

So if you or anyone out there could be a help to me that would be greatly appriciated.

One last question. If i wanted to upgrade the Acer with XP pro on it to vista, do i gotta buy a vista Product key for it or can i use the Xp pro one for it?

p.s. is this as simple as ringing up Hp or Acer and getting them to send me out a windows cd for my Hp

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

p.s. is this as simple as ringing up Hp or Acer and getting them to send me out a windows cd for my Hp

I believe so

However, when you are offered to restore to factory settings that will wipe and then re-install windows to the state it was on the day you bought it. So I would recommend that you back up all the data you need first. The end result will be a clean install

If i wanted to upgrade the Acer with XP pro on it to vista, do i gotta buy a vista Product key for it or can i use the Xp pro one for it?

Yes, you must buy an upgrade licence, I would recommend an upgrade disc. But first ensure that your system is Vista compatible by running the Advisor programme

nismo180sx

nismo180sx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im at step 8 and it went from 0 - 20% in like 2 mins now its been on 20% for a while, how long does this actually take. and it doesn't sound like the cd is trying to be read.

Will this also take a while if i have alot of data on there - i have it all backed up.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That can be caused by a faulty memory stick or a hardware problem. Could you post in the hardware section of the forum

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Essexboy

Excellent guide...

you can rest assured that you have saved many of people's behind's and saved them a fair amount of money at the same time :)

Well done

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 11 February 2009 - 01:37 AM.

subaru99

subaru99

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your reply, it is greatly appreciated.
I called Toshiba and the support person told me the computer was designed for Vista in mind and that XP would not work right if it were installed. I ask about a duel boot installation and he said it wouldn't work. He also stated I would need all new drivers for XP and they were not available. I will consult with my daughter to see if she still wants me to make the change and if so, I will have to get another copy of XP in order to switch over. I have downloaded your post just in case. Also, I was wondering, since the computer didn't come with any disks of documentation other than what is stored or the computer, can it be restored back to Vista if the switch doesn't work satisfactorly? Can I copy the Partition wiith Recovery on it and later
put it back in that partition if need be? There aren't any downloads available for that model on the Toshiba website, I guess it is too new since it was only offered for sale one day this week @ BestBuy for the first time and they aren't going to restock it. I looked in other stores and and on the Web and can't find it. It isn't even listed at Toshiba.com :)
Have a great day!
subaru99

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Also, I was wondering, since the computer didn't come with any disks of documentation other than what is stored or the computer, can it be restored back to Vista if the switch doesn't work satisfactorly?

As there were no discs I suspect it came within a hidden partition containing the Vista install

I have found this information it may apply to your model but check your documentation first

To access the Toshiba recovery partition, power off the laptop. Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software. Be sure to back up all your important personal data beforehand!

Glad this page came in handy :)

Advertisements

char dewalt

char dewalt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Content deleted as shown
A quote of the post 1 - the guide

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 July 2012 - 06:53 AM.
content deleted simply a quote of the whole guide

helpmequick

helpmequick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
thing is it the dell instructions dont tell me what to do if i dont have a key recovery or generator disc i dont have one,the dell disc is pre installed at dell so i have the one dell issue you when you buy it new,
but my question is

how d i get or make or get access to my pc if i cant remember the admin password or username??

you mentioned safe mode but how do i get into safemode if i tried to format the drive and reinstall xp?

helpmequick

helpmequick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i also never got asked for my product key during install

helpmequick

helpmequick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i cant seem to access safe mode as by pressing f8 does nothing just boots from cd and goes direct to the blue windows set up screen

helpmequick

helpmequick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
on the first pc you tried to help with i just tried this link - http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

except nw when it gets to the examining the disk screen it just seems to stall.im really not having any luck at all starting to get me down i need to gt one of the machines working

really appreciate all your help - just noticed your from cornwall too