Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router(Netgear) or Vista internet connection problems?

• Please log in to reply

stands

stands

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok before throwing this particular laptop off the top of my nearest mountain I thought I best come to yourselves again to see if you have any further ideas what I could do. I have posted elsewhere on these forums but unfortunately neither the "Vista" or "malware" people seem to be able to help me so i'm hoping now that it is an issue with my network.

I have a Netgear DG834v3 ADSL router and my internet provider is talktalk. I have 4 pcs/laptops using this router 2 pcs which are using XP and 2 laptops using Vista. 1 of the Vista laptops works fine the other......well i'm lucky if i can get a 30bytes/sec speed when connecting to the internet.

I'll outline the various things i have done....
  • Virus/Spyware/CCleaner etc
  • Updated Firmware on router
  • Moved Pc's and laptops around to determine if there ia a fault with the wires of the router
  • Disconnected router and reconnected it again + then returned to factory settings
  • Ensured Firewalls are off on Windows so that there is no conflict with netgears firewalls
  • Turned all the other pc's/laptops off to see if this has an effect on the speeds of the remainding laptops
  • Put the laptop back to factory settings to ensure there was no software conflicts
  • Disabled/enabled various add-ons
  • Turned phishing filter off
  • Rolled back and then updated drivers for the NIC
  • Turned Windows defender off and then on again
  • Checked that there was no evidence of Mcafee on my system
  • As the laptop was under warranty i requested that a new systems board was put in to laptop
  • Changed DNS settings to open DNS ones

Finally i took the laptop round to a friends house and hey presto it worked fine through their wired router!!!!

BUT....that doesn't help me :)

If you can think of anything else that i have overlooked please can you advise me.
Thanks

Advertisements

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Have you tried contacting your ISP? How long have you noticed this issue for? It may be your router. What happens when you take your router over to your neighbors house? :) This is odd.

stands

stands

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
okaaaaaay after battling with this problem for the last 6 weeks and learning far more about vista than i think i will ever need to know i have at last resolved this issue.....apologies to anyone who I may have caused brain ache to with regards to solving this but it turned out to be a very simple solution.

As a total shot in the dark, and a far cheaper alternative to throwing the laptop down some local mountain and paying for a new router i decided to buy a whole new set of ethernet cables. Haven't got a clue why but even though all the other pc's were fine on all the ethernet cables we had, the laptop in question decided it didn't like my old ones. It does like the new ones so we're all happy in my household now.

Thanks again to anyone who may have read my posts in the various forum areas on here and pondered on my predicament.

xx

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I forgot about the ethernet cables.

That's great to hear :)