Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sporadic internet connection on my wired computer

• Please log in to reply

Godjira

Godjira

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I run Windows XP, have Windows Service Pack 3 and I have D-Link 615 router. There is only one other computer that is linked to the wireless network and that is the labtop I'm using right now. It is the only one with a consistent connection to the net. My wired computer disconnects from the internet sporadically then reconnects after 30 minutes to an hour or so.

I haven't done anything new or out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think of is that I had to reset my router and set up my network from scratch. After that, my connection hasn't been the same. I've called DLink about my problem, but the best answer they could give me is plugging into another port on my router.

I don't believe my router is the issue. When I run Network Diagnostics on internet explorer I get an error on my WinSock Status. It says error attempting to validate the Winsock Base Providers: 2. At first I thought the winsock was the problem and I've opened up the command prompt and have reset it as well as downloaded Winsock XP Fix. I also receive an error on my HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity.

I've been trying to research my problem for the past week. So I've taken some steps already to try and resolve my problem.

I've ran Network Diagnostics in Help and Support and the following has failed on my Network Adapters:
Default Gateway (same subnet)
DHCP server
DNSServerSearchOrder

I've tried to repair my connections but it always gets stuck on renewing my IP Address. It seems I never can do it. I've checked my connections and everything seems to be running fine. It says I am connected to the internet yet, I can't access a website.

My connections are set to obtain IP address auto and the same goes for the DNS server.

I've flushed and registered my DNS.

I've also downloaded and ran ad-aware and spybot and super anti spy ware. All three picked up on different things,and I have taken the steps to rid them from my computer already.

If it's not an attack then why would my computer act differently when it was running just fine?

Edited by Godjira, 20 August 2008 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I am currently helping Godjira in the malware forum, once I give the all clear I will send him/her back here if he/she is still having the same problem :)

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I am currently helping Godjira in the malware forum, once I give the all clear I will send him/her back here if he/she is still having the same problem :)

Oh it's still me. Feel free to delete this thread. I just wasn't sure which forum would be more appropriate. Thank you again for such speedy replies. I will have a response soon!

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have cleared the malware forum and need some further assistance, please.

I also noticed one more thing: when I download something before the connection is lost, the download stays uninterrupted. It seems I do have a connection to the internet trickling out somehow.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this should get you new address's

Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
First off thank you for trying to help me. I just want to say I really appreciate this.

Well, I tried both solutions and it seemed to work for the rest of the day. However, at one point it went down again and something new popped up. It said that one program is conflicting with the ip address? But the connection was lost for only a second and came back up again quickly. I was just surfing the net right now and I lost connection again. I typed in ipconfig and my ip address seems to be correct. What else can you suggest?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did it give you a name for the program conflicting with the ip address...

go here and get the hosts.zip when you unzip it click on the batch icon..

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, it did not.

I clicked on the batch file and it reads as: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. THE MVPS HOSTS FILE IS NOW UPDATED."

What was this supposed to accomplish? And did it work?

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My internet connection was lost right after clicking on the batch host file. I'm not sure if this is coincidence?

Anyway, I closed all my windows and clicked on the batch file again and I just got the single message of MVPS host file is now updated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.
SEE SCREENSHOT OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE...
pages also load faster because those ad servers are all over the world and now your computer does not have to load them at all...the regular web page will show normally..just minus the ad's

Edited by happyrck, 05 September 2008 - 06:17 PM.

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So, this is a surefire way to resolve my problem?

I have another question too: why is it that I needed to download something to fix a problem I never had before? Are you sure that the problem doesn't lie within my internet settings or router settings?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

So, this is a surefire way to resolve my problem?

nope

I have another question too: why is it that I needed to download something to fix a problem I never had before

you had this problem when I started helping you...the hosts file is a tool that clears out any old DNS entries that MAY be causing the problem..

Are you sure that the problem doesn't lie within my internet settings or router settings?

nope

BTW...I don't have the time or patience to explain everything... so in the future google it and educate yourself...
also if you don't think your getting the right help...let me know and I can bow out and let someone else help you..

Godjira

Godjira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

BTW...I don't have the time or patience to explain everything... so in the future google it and educate yourself...

I've actually researched on the internet for hours on how to solve my problem, hence why I am here. There are many paths to take on solving an internet connection issue. Once I found a solution and tried it, it never worked and I reached yet another dead end. It's hard to pinpoint it exactly and I was becoming frustrated, so that is why I am on a message board that is supposed to help. I received wonderful response with my malware tech. It baffles me that you are even trying to help if you just tell people with to go look on google.

also if you don't think your getting the right help...let me know and I can bow out and let someone else help you..

I don't believe I am getting the right help when you have no time and patience. I would appreciate it if possibly someone else could work with me on my problem.