Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop: c000021a fatal system error

• Please log in to reply

biff_olsen2

biff_olsen2

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

After working to remove some malware/viruses (see http://www.geekstogo...an-t225607.html for my issues), I ran a chkdsk /r.

After rebooting I got a BSOD stating "Stop: c000021a {fatal system error} The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000020 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

The thread I linked to above contains all of the things I've done recently.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm happy to provide more information, but I don't know what would be relevant and rather than loading this down with useless info, I'll supply whatever is asked for.

Thanks.

Advertisements

biff_olsen2

biff_olsen2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
To update my current situation -

I was unable to reboot into safe mode or anything.

I did manage to uninstall SP3 (which I had just installed in the past few days) via c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst
*Edit- I uninstalled SP3 via the command above and then finished with add/remove programs. That let me boot through to a black screen with visible and functioning cursor. I even got the windows load sound to go through... but no taskbar, desktop, start menu (like explorer.exe is not running). When I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del to see if explorer.exe was running, the black screen disappeared and went to a logon screen. Really got me confused here.
Thanks *End Edit*

In safe mode I ran SDFix and ComboFix. Logs below.

Also, I have an ERUNT backup available.

Edited by Rorschach112, 22 January 2009 - 08:08 AM.
removed logs

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello biff_olsen2,

Lets see if I got the facts right.
You can boot into normal mode fine, but the explorer isn't loading?
What happens if you try to log in again at the login screen? Does it put you in a loop?
Is safe mode still functioning correctly?

Regards,
Olrik

biff_olsen2

biff_olsen2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can boot into normal mode: I go through POST and Win XP loading, I've never used a login screen so I don't have that. When my desktop should appear, I just get a black screen with a functioning cursor. I can open tskmgr and I see explorer.exe, but I dont have a desktop, taskbar, or anything - just black with the mouse arrow.

If i kill explorer.exe and then Run a new explorer.exe, I get the taskbar and desktop, but I don't get all of the services that should be running on startup (no wireless config...)

I did learn something else (admittedly by accident). If I leave computer for 5-10 minutes when the black screen/cursor appear, it will finally fully load everything as normal. It appears as if it is hanging on something that is causing an extended delay during the startup process. Startup/Boot processes are not really my strength, but "hanging up" would be the best way I could describe it.

I believe Safe Mode does boot normally -- though some processes do not run when I boot in safe mode (networking and all are disabled, so I can't know for sure if they are loading normally)... but I don't have the black screen hanging issue.

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sounds like u may need to run a repair on os. Try this power down the pc and power up keep pressing F8 and select last known good configuration see if that helps.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Maybe checking all the current windows files are intact and in original versions

start > run > type: " sfc /scannow " without "

Just a suggestion...

Good luck with the issue

Antony19

Edited by Anthony19, 26 January 2009 - 12:59 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I believe we can find this in either the startup or the services.
Ok, so lets see if we can find the culprit!
Note: This process might take a while and requires multiple reboots.
  • Go to start and type msconfig
  • Open msconfig.exe
  • A window will pop up, go to the Startup Tab.
  • In the bottom right, select Disable All
  • Please reboot the computer.
  • Follow steps 1 to 3 again.
  • Now turn on 1 or 2 startups and reboot again.
  • Keep doing this until your problem comes back.
  • Once the problem comes back it should be the program you turned on Last.
  • Please tell me which program this was and how the whole process went.
(It is also possible of course that it still keeps giving the problem. Report back and we'll move on to the services.)

Regards,
Olrik