Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two stubborn system erros, need help~~

• Please log in to reply

Wiwi

Wiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
The following errors keep showing up under the system log in the Event Viewer, and I don't know how to troubleshoot them (make them go away):

1)The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASKUTIL,

2)The WUSB54GCSVC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.

I tried to troubleshoot the second error by going into services.msc, and right click on WUSB54GCSVC service -> click on properties to find its executable as this: "C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" "WUSB54GC.exe", but strange enough, I couldn't find the Compact Wireless-G.... folder in my C drive, why??? I just don't get it :) I think that's the cause of why the WUSB54GCSVC service failed to start, but I have no idea why its executable is missing.

I appreciated if anyone can help me out :)

Thanks in advances.

Edited by Wiwi, 25 June 2008 - 04:33 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would be a lot better if we knew what

Info,

The process SASKUTIL.SYS belongs to the software SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition or SUPERAntiSpyware Professional by SUPERAntiSpyware.com.

Description: File SASKUTIL.sys is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" or sometimes in a subfolder of C:\. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 32256 bytes (41% of all occurrence), 29184 bytes, 23552 bytes, 30720 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. It is a file without information about the maker of this file. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. File SASKUTIL.sys is not a Windows core file. SASKUTIL.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 44% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as SASKUTIL.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the SASKUTIL.sys process on your pc whether it is pest.

Can you uninstall the SUPER Anti-Spyware and see if that error goes away?

On the wireless, have you tried reinstalling the software?

http://h10025.www1.h...item=hb-22765-1

Is the above the wireless software you have?

I also found this on the error,

WUSB54GC.exe file information

The process belongs to the software WUSB54GC by Linksys.

Description: WUSB54GC.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 5245952 bytes (38% of all occurrence), 5527040 bytes, 5247488 bytes, 5218304 bytes.
There is an icon for this program on the taskbar next to the clock. The program has a visible window. There is no description of the program. It is not a Windows system file. WUSB54GC.exe is able to record inputs, monitor applications. Therefore the technical security rating is 26% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as WUSB54GC.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the WUSB54GC.exe process on your pc whether it is pest.

Are you still able to get on the internet or hook to your wireless network ?

By the way my wireless equipped laptop had over 1000 errors concerning connecting to wireless connections that are available but i cannot connect with because i do not have the passwords necessary. They are really not errors, just windows saying the laptop could not connect to the wireless network there.

SRX660

Wiwi

Wiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Thanks for the info.

Can you uninstall the SUPER Anti-Spyware and see if that error goes away?

I've uninstall SUPER Anti-Spyware a LONG time ago, I've checked my Program file folder on my C drive, and the Program Lists in the Control Panel, but I don't see anythings that are related to SUPER Anti-Spyware. I wonder why its file SASKUTIL.SYS still left behind on my system???

On the wireless, have you tried reinstalling the software?

http://h10025.www1.h...item=hb-22765-1

Is the above the wireless software you have?

no, that's not the one I use, I'm running vista home premium, the one I'm using right now is this

As for reinstalling the software, or the driver, I think you meant. I really don't understand why I have to do that (I've never reformated my computer since I bought it). I meant when I first installed the driver, the Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor folder should've install itself in the Program files folder on my C driver, right? but I have no ideas (very strange) why it's missing now?? I'm pretty sure this is the cause of why the WUSB54GCSVC service failed to start!

Are you still able to get on the internet or hook to your wireless network ?

Odd enough, yes. but sometimes it'll disconnect for no reason

Any other possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Wiwi, 25 June 2008 - 07:48 PM.

Wiwi

Wiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Ok, I will try to trouble shoot the first error myself: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASKUTIL, but want some advices from you guys first.

I've already located the SASKUTIL service in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SASKUTIL, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SASKUTIL, I wante to delete the whole SASKUTIL folder so that the service will never try to start again. Obviously, the service didn't go away when I uninstalled Super Anti-spyware. I also found out the ImagePath Data for that service is: \??\C:\Program files\SUPERAntispyware\SASKUTIL.sys Strangely, when I go into Device Manager, and click "show hidden device", SASKUTIL is once again show up under the Non-Plug and Play Drivers sections, how did it end up in the Device Manager??? :)

As for the second error: The WUSB54GCSVC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. I was also able to locate the service in the registry, the ImagePath Data is: C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" "WUSB54GC.exe, but since the Compact Wireless folder is not on my C drive, the service is not able to load sucessfully.

Is there any way I can retrieve/restore those two missing files: WLService.exe, and WUSB54GC.exe?

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Edited by Wiwi, 26 June 2008 - 03:29 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Some things you can do. This first does not get rid of the program, it just disables it so you don't get any errors. I had the same type of problem with Corel Draw 12 Suite wanting access to the internet but instead i was just getting a error.

Start, then type msconfig in the search box, then hit the enter key. You will be asked for permission , blah, blah, click continue.

There go to the startup, or services tabs and see if you can uncheck the program or stop and manual set the programs in services.

If you cannot find them there you may have to edit the entry in the registry. BUT, be very careful with the registry. Unless you are expert in the registry i would advise leaving it alone. I have typed just a semicolon in the wrong place in the registry and ended up having the computer not boot at all. I could not get back to the registry to change it back and ended up reinstalling Vista new again, and lost all data i had not saved from that week. Thank god, i backup weekly.

I ams sure the above will stop your errors. If you must get into the registry i found this on the a vista forum.

Open the Run dialog box and type "regedit" without the quotation marks.
Once you have opened the Registry click on File and select Export. Export the
registry to your Desktop. In the filename box you can type Restore and this
will be the name under the backup icon on your desktop. If you wish, you can
export the backup to your Documents folder or another location and then right
click on it to send a copy of it to your desktop as a shortcut. Keep the
Registry open after you click Save.

To find and delete the old registry entries go back to the registry and
click on Edit and then click on Find; a smaller window will open and you will
have the opportunity to type the file or program you are looking for. Hit
Enter on your keyboard after typing the file or program you wish to find and
the registry will search for the item you typed. If it finds the item it will
be highlighted in blue. This is the entry you want to delete. However, you
must be sure to read the highlighted entry as it may or may not be the entry
you are looking for. For example, if you are searching for HP software and
you only enter HP or hp you may have a highlighted entry for masHPoint, or
crashprotection, which contains the letters HP or hp. You would not want to
delete these entries as they have nothing to do with HP computers or
software. You must type EXACTLY the entry you are looking for, such as HP
Advisor or HP Connect. Look at each entry carefully so that you are certain
about what you are deleting. If the found key or subkey is correct, simply
right click on it and select Delete. Be advised that you may not be able to
delete all the entries. If you cannot read the entire key or subkey hold your
mouse over the entry and you will see the full text.

Once you delete the pertinent entry click on Edit again and select Find
Next. Do this until you receive a message that the registry is done searching
for that particular entry. Do this again and again, for each different entry,
until you have deleted them all.

Reboot your computer. Go to program files and see if the old programs
are listed anywhere in the HP folder. If so, delete them and reboot again.
Restart your computer and install the new programs.

http://www.vistax64....a-registry.html

SRX660

Wiwi

Wiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Some things you can do. This first does not get rid of the program, it just disables it so you don't get any errors.

As I said before, I've already uninstall SUPERAnti-spyware a long time ago, the program was uninstalled, but the service that goes with it was not.

I've deleted the SASKUTIL service folder in the registry, wow!, just like I thought, the error stop showing up in the Event Viewer :) but when I searched SUPERAnti-spyware in the registry, a folder named SUPERAntiSpyware.com showed up under the Software section this time, should I delete that folder as well?

2)The WUSB54GCSVC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified

Although my wireless adapter runs perfectly, I still wonder why the Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter is missing on my C drive? :)

forgot to say I've un-plugged it one time, and then re-plugged it back it, I don't if that caused this.

Model No. WUSB54GC (which is not the same as the service name)

Any advices for the this error?

Thanks, SRX660 :)

Edited by Wiwi, 26 June 2008 - 09:13 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you checked your computer for spyware? I keep reading problems with your same compaq wlservice and wusb54gc service errors are part of a vundo or similar virus. You might post a HT log in the malware forum to see if they can find anything.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

SRX660

Wiwi

Wiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Thanks for the advice, I will post in the malware forum for help :)