Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device not recognized when I attach my printer

• Please log in to reply

multiplex77

multiplex77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi all,

Since yesterday when I plug in my Brother USB printer into my laptop (Win XP Pro version 2002, SP2), I get the following pop up balloon on my taskbar:

USB Device not recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

I have been using my printer for the past 5 months without this error occuring. I didn't install any new software lately. ANd I don't think the fault lies with my printer, cos it works fine with my other PC.

I've tried uninstalling the printer driver, but now I can't re-install it because there is an installation step which requires me to plug in the printer to the USB port, and that error pops up again.

I've also tried using other USB ports, but the same problem occurs.

My printer is Brother MFC-425CN.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The driver for the USB controller may have become corrupted or simply disappeared. Try this:

Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager.
Highlight 'USB Controller', right-click, choose 'Uninstall'.
Close Control Panel. Reboot.
Windows should re-detect the controller and re-install it's driver.

multiplex77

multiplex77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi pip22,

Thanks for the reply!

I've gone into the Device Manager but I see more than one USB controller (as shown in the image below). Do I uninstall all of them? How about the USB Root Hubs?

Posted Image

Thanks for your help.

Edited by multiplex77, 25 February 2007 - 07:21 PM.

multiplex77

multiplex77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

I'm sorry I still await a reply. =)

Can anyone confirm that it's ok for me to uninstall all my USB host controllers and let Windows detect and reinstall them? I don't want to uninstall them and have a mega problem on my hands...

Thanks for the help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can uninstall all of them and reboot

Remove the usb leads first, let it re-install the hubs etc, then connect a lead, check it is recognised, then continue until all leads are connected

Can the printer stay connected when you have re-installed the USB

multiplex77

multiplex77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Keith. I'll try doing that. I can't keep the printer connected though, cos mine is a laptop and I take it around with me.