Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've been having problems with my AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ Dual Core CPU overheating and have tried more hours than I can count to fix it but it keeps coming back, so I'm thinking to upgrdae the CPU.

My motherboard is an ASUS M2N-MX SE (I think it's the PLUS version, but I can't be sure till I get home to double check).

I've been to the Asus site to see what ones are compatible, but there are so many and it's so confusing for a computer hardware newbie such as myself. Any pointers?

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That's an AM2 board, not an AM2+ board. The Plus is more recent and supports more CPUs, but realistically you'd only be replacing like for like, making a CPU replacement on its own pointless. You may want to consider a CPU and board change, you can keep everything else and go for a more modern AM2+ or AM3 CPU, all the current AMD boards take AM2+ and AM3 processors.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Well the main reason for a CPU change is a possibly faulty CPU, and I haven't got the cash to replace both CPU and motherboard right now. What I'm wanting is a recommendation from that list of CPU's, or doesn't it really matter?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Well the main reason for a CPU change is a possibly faulty CPU, and I haven't got the cash to replace both CPU and motherboard right now. What I'm wanting is a recommendation from that list of CPU's, or doesn't it really matter?

The majority of overheating problems are rarely caused by the CPU themselves, you quite often find the temperature sensor's gone or is faulty on the board. Either that or the thermal paste has dried out, the fan is clogged with dust or the case has poor ventilation.

That being said, I stand by what I said in the first place; it's effectively pointless replacing it as you're doing a like-for-like.
If I can refer you to this chart: http://www.tomshardw...ew-31696-6.html - ignore the fact it says "gaming CPU chart list", because the point I'm trying to make is this:

Your 4000 CPU sits in the bottom tier on the AMD side. Now if you're going to replace your processor you may as well do a worthwhile upgrade. The problem you have is all the processors your board supports are not available any longer, and everything from the third tier up on the AMD side is only available on the AM2+ boards, which you don't have.

While I appreciate you do not have the funds now, I do not feel in your case a simple CPU replacement is in your best interests bearing in mind what I've said above re: common overheating scenarios.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hmm ok then, so what recommendations do you have for a new board, bearing in mind price is an issue here... I guess anything new would be better than what I have got though because it's a few years old now, wouldn't it?

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

I would love to help, could you post your current pc configuration?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sure.

MB: ASUS M2N-MX SE
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ Dual Core
Vid: NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT (1GB)
PSU: Ultrix 450w

Antyhing else? Running XP but I don't think that matters much, does it?

Edited by Jaekus, 23 November 2009 - 08:14 PM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Well it matters since if you want a new motherboard and cpu.We have to see what memory you have DDR1 or DDR2 and if graphic card is AGP or PCI-E?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM (1GB each) and the graphics card is PCI-E.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Okay!

I'm not sure how much money you want to spend on cpu and motherboard so I've pick something with low price, let me know what you think this is from Newegg!

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor $60.99
Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX $61.99

Advertisements

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Well, that's a lot cheaper than I thought.

Anything you'd recommend from this site? It's local to me.

http://www.umart.com...ex2.phtml?bid=5

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yes here it is

AMD ATHLON II X2 240 2.8Ghz AM3 $69.00

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD770/SB700 chipset/DDR2 $104.00

Gigabyte board it's a very nice board, stable too.Here Official site

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sounds good, just don't quite have the funds right now. I'll upgrade my PSU too, found a pretty good one I think - CoolerMaster 650W Extreme Plus for $96.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I would recommend you this Corsair VX-450 ATX 450W Power Supply this is great PSU better than CoolerMaster and it will be more than enough for your PC.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Someone else I've been talking to recommended I get a 650W power supply instead, hence my previous post... thoughts?