Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP54Gv4.exe Application Error

• Please log in to reply

aggrad

aggrad

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am receiving a pop-up box on system shutdown with a title that reads "WMP54Gv4.exe Application Error". There is some additional verbage underneath (did not record it). Is there a reason that I am receiving this box each time I shut down the computer?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Next time this error happens, take a screenshot of it or copy the rest of the information down so we have a better understanding of what is going on and as such can help you better.

Fenor

timtijones

timtijones

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm getting similar errors on WinXP. After clicking <Start><Turn Off Computer>, then either <Turn Off> or <Restart>, I usually get 3 message boxes titled "WUSB54Gv4 - Application error", with text that says "The instruction at 0x10001298 referenced memory at 0x10001298. The memory could not be 'read'. " with the <OK> and <Cancel> buttons. The addresses vary, but the instruction & memory addresses are always the same. I've tried reinstalling from the CD that came with the Linksys USB Network Adapter and changing the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor service from an automatic service to a manual start -- still get the errors on shut down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tracyowens

tracyowens

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a Linksys WUSB54Gv4 Wireless G networking adaptor. I'm now getting errors n WinXP after clicking <Start><Turn Off> or <Restart>. The pop up error box is "WUSB54Gv4 - Application error", with text that says "The instruction at 0x10001298 referenced memory at 0x10001298. The memory could not be 'read'. " with the <OK> and <Cancel> buttons. I've tried reinstalling from the CD that came with the Linksys USB Network Adapter and updating the drivers, etc. but still get the errors on shut down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've seen this thread (and simply replied to one of them) on here while researching this error but haven't actually seen a fix for it yet.

Tracy

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I got the exact same wireless adapter and had this exact same problem...

This happens because you installed the complete software package (which includes the driver), and now it is conflicting with Windows XP built in wireless support. The two software packages (linksys' and windows') are fighting with each other over who should be in control. Go to ADD/REMOVE programs and uninstall the linksys software and reboot your computer. When you get the new hardware wizard popup, click cancel.

Now before you did what is stated above, you should have downloaded the attached zip file in this post, which includes the drivers needed for the WUSB54Gv4. You also should have already extracted these to a folder where you will remember its location.

Now go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc to bring up the DEVICE MANAGER. In the new window that appears, you should notice an item with a yellow question mark next to it. Right-click this item and choose UPDATE DRIVER. The update driver window will now appear. Select No, not this time. on the first screen and click NEXT. On the next screen, select Install from a list or specific location. (Advanced) and click NEXT. On the next screen check the box for Include this location in the search and then click the BROWSE button and locate the folder you extracted the files to from the attached zip file and click OK. Click NEXT. The wizard will now search for, find and install the driver. It may pop up a window about the driver not being tested by Microsoft for compatibility, but just click CONTINUE INSTALLATION. Once the installation is finished, reboot your computer and your problem should be gone and your WUSB54Gv4 will work fine. :whistling:

Fenor

*EDIT* -- The zip file containing the drivers for the WUSB54G can be found HERE.

Edited by Fenor, 01 January 2007 - 03:42 PM.

tracyowens

tracyowens

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Bless you!! This worked. And you are right I installed the complete package originally. Thanks! I love this board! LOL

Tracy

eviltiki100

eviltiki100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry for bumping this but I have searched the internet for a good couple hours and this is the only solution that I have found. I was following the steps up above except when I was installing the new drivers the installation stopped and the message that came up said "access denied". It never said what I was denied access to either... So now I am using the cruddy old linksys program which gives error messages every time I shutdown. Is there any way to uninstall the program only but leave the drivers?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Make sure your on an account with admin priviledges while trying to install it, thats probably your problem.

eviltiki100

eviltiki100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
No I just checked to make sure. I am definitely an admin on this computer.

CLIPPY

CLIPPY

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have to uninstall the entire software! There is only one Linksys program listed in control panel.

I tried your method and the install said it found no software in the folder, naturally! Your information
file looks the same as the one in my C: Linksys install folder. So what is the difference? My install
software just installs the whole thing.

I have had problems for 2 years at startup. My XP takes forever to load the network and the error message.
Now, I find out the darn monitor eats up memory! I tried to disable the monitor and used Windows to manage it,
but that doesn't always work right either.

I am a programmer and this stuff really has me ticked! My 98 ran better!

Thanks for trying,

Ted

Cheryl_Francis

Cheryl_Francis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem, but I notice all the fixes are for WUSB54 errors. I have the WMP54Gv4 error. I don't know if all the fixes that I've seen above/below will help me. It all sounds feasible, but I don't want to mess things up any more than it is now.

I agree it is prob the Linksys software causing the error, but would like to make sure the Fedor posts are for the WMP54Gv4 error.

HELP.

Edited by Cheryl_Francis, 26 November 2008 - 05:56 PM.

HitsFromDa 70s 80s and 90s

HitsFromDa 70s 80s and 90s

• Pip
  • 1 posts
@ Cheryl_Francis and @all:

well i know this comes a lil late for ya, it's just that i did not discover this thread earlier. I also have the described error with the WMP54G PCI-card. The drivers provided by Fenor will NOT work in this case, as they simply do not fit this device. But basically we can still use Fenor's idea to solve our problem, which is to install the drivers WITHOUT installing the linksys software application which somehow seems to cause trouble with the windows wireless managment.

To do that you also have to de-install the linksys software like Fenor has described it already. After rebooting windows will ask you for the drivers, at this point you should insert the CD that came with the card and make sure you do NOT run the setup on the CD, as you only want the drivers, not the application. The drivers are located in the folder "drivers" on the CD (who would have ever thought...) and according to your operating system you will have to choose between XP and Vista. Within the driver installation routine you have to choose this path for windows to take the drivers from. That way, you have the necessary drivers to run the card and after installing them successfully the windows wireless icon should reappear in the systray, whereas the green linksys icon should NOT appear if you did everything correctly. Finally click on the item to get info on how to establish a connection to your wireless network without the linksys software.

Just wanted to add this for all who have the problem with the non-USB device. Thanx @ Fenor for your post, all works fine now. Cheers.