Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is overclocking?

• Please log in to reply

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
As you can see, i'm a newb. But can someone please tell me what overclocking is in a kinda un-technical way? Thanks.

-Nick-

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hey nick,
overclocking is a way to kinda boost your processor to achieve a better preformance then it has- its kinda like releasing the processers potential - its like walking...and then you gain more speed...running

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's my take on it. Let's use AMD as an example, when they make their Barton stepping CPU it's all the same silicon, the same chip used for the 2500+ to the 3200+. Now what they claim to do is "speed bin" the chips. Ensuring the chips that aren't able to perform at 3200 are sold as a lower speed chip.

In reality, most chips are perfectly capable of running at 3200+ speeds, but customers demand different price levels, so they offer the same chip for different prices at different speeds.

Here's where overclocking comes in. CPU manufacturers try to discourage overclocking their chips by locking the multiplier. However, the CPU speed can still be increased by boosting the overall speed of the motherboards front-side-bus (FSB). Again, using our example, a Barton 2500+ has a default FSB speed of 333 mhz. By using faster RAM, and boosting the FSB to 400mhz, the chip performs as fast as a 3200+ (actually slightly faster).

The CPU you choose has a lot to do with your overclocking success. Some will overclock well, and some won't. Currently the AMD 2500+ mobile chip is very popular because it runs at a lower voltage then the desktop model (equals less heat), and it has an unlocked multiplier, which means the CPU speed can be adjusted independent of the FSB. P4's in the lower ranges are also getting very good overclocks.

The AMD64 is not a very good overclocker, and rumors are circulating that the new Intel 915(?) chipsets have an anti-overclocking feature.

Hope that wasn't too techy. <_< It is a very technical issue, and much more complicated than I can answer in one reply.

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks. Are you saying that just by buying more RAM, lets say a gig, that it will automatically overclock on certain CPU's, or is it something that you have to manually do?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Amount of RAM doesn't affect overclocking at all. It's something you do manually, by changing setting in the BIOS, or sometimes through jumpers on the motherboard.

acehardy

acehardy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok I have a 2.4 northwood chip on a ASUS P4R800-VM board how do you start overclocking it to gain speed. I can't seem to upgrade the bios.

Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The bios will not induce overclocking. It's a manual confiuation, depending on the mother board.

danlott84

danlott84

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello....
could someone tell me how to overclock my processor....i have a p4 2.8 ghz 400mhz frontside....i would just like to learn how to overclock it :tazz:

acehardy

acehardy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok I read the posts but how would I gain more speed from my cpu. Please let me know step by step its a 2.4ghz ASUS P4R800-VM board 768pc3200 ram

Thanks
for any help

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I am feeling uneasy about anyone who tries to overclock without knowing exactly what to do. It's a process that can go wrong even if you've done it may times before.

But, there are programs that will aid you in this process (one example for video cards being Rivatuner :tazz:).

If you are overclocking for the first time, my suggestion is to get really comfortable with using the BIOS (start with this guide), and maybe getting an external temperature reader, in case the onboard temp sensor fails.

Just my two cents! ;)

mm_akash

mm_akash

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Dear All,
I am viery much new computer user.
I just need clear knowledge about overcloking.
Can anyone explain it clearly what is overclocking ?
If i do that what kind of performant I will get ?
And If i do this ..is there any problem in my pc ?
My pc Configure is
Octek mohter board.(A+S+L)
Intel Celeron 2.26 D processor
128 DDR Ram

Now just tell me how could i do ?

Akash

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not something you could or would want to include in a forum post as it would be incredibly long. You wouldnt get all the information and you would fry your mobo, google it and read a few of the many websites dedicated to the art of ocin your pc. You arent going to get much with those system specs anyway ocin is mostly for the gaming guys who want that extra few fps.
Have fun researching it, its really very interesting.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Overclocking would it change your computer in a vast range of features and speed or just bit?

NadoKing

NadoKing

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ehhh, i have heard the overclocking is bad, is that true?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Over clocking is good becase it can make you computer run faster, the amount depends on how much you overclock it.

And it is bad becase if it done beond what can be handled you could make the temp go up and cook your device (ram, cpu, video card.....)

So the best tip that I every found was it you can not have the system fail, or can not pay for the new device it it failed do not do it, becase you just might be unlucky and have a computer that will not work.