Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Xp Home reboots at boot screen

• Please log in to reply

insurin

insurin

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have a Pc here, its pretty new but Its one of those emachines from pc world. Its decent spec.

Anyway the Pc was fine then one day while powering up its gets to the boot screen, the little slider below Windows Xp Home Edition scrolls from left to right a few seconds then the pc reboots

this happens if i try safe mode as well so i cannot get into windows at all
What I have tried do far is

boot xp cd, select repair then fixboot, fixmbr
restart in all safe modes

I have been told that it is a virus that has casued it

any help is appreciated

Advertisements

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Have you tried booting to the last known good configuration this should be listed beside safe mode option

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes i have, i also followed the sticky guide on this forum but when i hit enter, i only get the option to quit or install. when i click on install it then asks me to format.

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

You should try:
1. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD into the drive.
2. Press F9.
3. Select: Boot From A removeble drive.
4. Wait until loading finished (It might take a while).
5. Press "R".
6. Follow the instructions.

If It's not working, Post a reply here. I would like to know!

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok im out of work now, ill be postin back 2morrow about 10.30am uk time

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I do not get any option by hitting f9, its appears to not do anything other than carry on as normal.
I stuck an All Windows dvd disc used the option of booting into partition magic. I then did I scan on the disc and it is coming up with a load of CRC errors. Hard drve corrupt maybe? I don't know

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
you could check the disk by going into cmd from the run command and typing chkdsk /f
the /f command should fix errors on the disk.
if you believe this is caused by a virus another option could be to attach the drive to a pc with updated virus protection (preferably using a usb caddie if you can get one) and scan the drive.

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ahh that thats it you see. This pc has a 3 year warranty and it has been 1 year so I don't want compromise the warranty. I was trying the chkdsk /f but it could not find autochk.exe but i think that was because i was using the all windows dvd so ill pop in a normal windows xp disc and try from there.

thanks

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I take it that it has a sticker seal or something like this on the back of tower, that if broken cancels out your warranty. These manufacturers really bug me its their way of getting you to go back to them if you require any upgrades.

Hope the chkdsk /f works for you

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey, the chkdsk has worked. thanks matie that did the trick. as for the sticker on the back its just another way for the system to do you out of more money, I wouldn't buy from pc world anyway but it aint mine its a victim of the system

thanks for your help

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I wouldn't buy from pc world either or any other store like them.

Glad it worked though, no probs :tazz: