Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP style option missing

• Please log in to reply

duggie

duggie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My theme in Windows XP was changed from XP to Classic and I can't change it back. The option under Appearance in Display Properties is not there any more. This happened after I ran CleanUp!, which when it had finished a window poped up stating that files that Win XP SP2 needs were changed with invalid files. The pop-up asked me to insert the SP2 CD but I don't have that CD so I had to accept the changes.

I've tried to reset the Themes (under Admin Tools/Services) and tried to reinstall the "Luna" theme, but nothing works. I'll add that I still have access to the Theme "Luna", but not the Windows and buttons Windows XP style.

Is there anything I can do to get that style back? Thanks.

P.S. I ran CleanUp! as it was recommended to be done before running ewido security suite (in Safe mode). I have the very annoying "Aurora" spyware on my comp and I was trying to remove it (since Ad-aware, MS Antispyware, nor S&D do not completely remove this spyware). I still have this apyware on my comp and I will need help removing this too. I'm aware that there is a spyware topic in this forum. Will I have to paste my HijackThis info in a new topic there or should I keep it in this thread? Thanks again

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hello,

*Link removed by Administrator*

Also, Try disabling themes restrarting it enable it and make sure its running.

If you are having difficulty with Aurora, please post a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum!

Edited by ~Kat~, 17 May 2005 - 05:19 PM.

duggie

duggie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nope, sorry that didn't work. The Windows XP style still isn't available.

I'll also add that Aurora did get removed by ewidos. Haven't detected/seen any instances of it for 24 hours now

Rokkar

Rokkar

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having the EXACT problem! It happened after I ran Cleanup! Any idea how to fix this?

Rokkar

Rokkar

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I found this on Annoyances.org and it worked for me. I followed these instructions exactly as he has written and it worked!!

"Ok, For those of you who have tried all of these fixes, here's the one that worked for me. More than likely your c:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\luna.msstyles files has been corrupted. In order to fix this you will need your Windows XP Install CD. Make a new folder in the root of your c: drive (ex. c:\temp). This is where we are going to extract a good luna.msstyles file. Put in your XP Install CD. If it autoruns just close it. Go to a command prompt. (ex. Start, Run, Type command, and hit enter.) You should now see something like this C:\DOCUME~1\youruser>. Type in the name of the CD Drive you put the disk in followed by a colon (ex. D:). Now for the fun part. Type in cd i386. Now type in expand luna.ms_ c:\temp. You should now have expanded the file into your temp folder. Type exit to close the command prompt. Go to your temp folder and rename luna.ms_ to luna.msstyles. Double click on it to set your appearance to XP to see if it works. If it does copy the file to your c:\windows\resources\themes\luna folder. Later "

Good luck!

Rok

duggie

duggie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It worked for me too. Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Duggie

bitola

bitola

• Pip
  • 1 posts
o got the same problem.tried to fix...but i put the instalation cd and i dont know what comand to write in run???how to exract the luna file ftom the cd to the tem.file???

Edited by bitola, 17 February 2010 - 12:03 AM.