Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant remove favorites

• Please log in to reply

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi all,

Can anyone help me with removing folders and web pages from my favorites tab in explorer.

I downloaded MSN plus or something like that and found popups on my browser. I have fixed that problem but later encountered that the programme i installed also attached new folders and links in my favorites tab which i cant delete.

Spyware doctor, Spy Sweep and Xoftspy cant delete or detect the crap that had decided to make my favorites tab its home.

Can any one help.
:tazz:

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Try Uninstalling MSN Messenger Plus!
RockyIV

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Rocky,

No good. They are still in favs.

Peter

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
If you did the default installation, you probably accepted the sponsored version which granted all sorts of installation rights to all sorts folks that you dont want in your computer :tazz:

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

DO NOT POST the HJT SCAN HERE. DO NOT REPLY WITH IT IN THIS THREAD.

POST THE HJT LOG IN A NEW TOPIC POST AT THE MALWARE FORUM. THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU THERE. :)

(Sorry for the shouting, but so many post back in these threads its not funny)

Best regards,

EMCguy

Tensaei

Tensaei

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm not an expert but, try uninstalling it.
Then go into My Computer>Programs and Files and look for what ever folder your MSN Messenger would be.
(I have no idea what it is called, because I do not have MSN)
Then delete that folder.
And reinstall.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I highly recommend following EMCguy post! I had the same problem twice once it was MSN Plus and the second time it was malware!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Pete
Do you still need a hand with this?

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Peterm,

Sorry, no i dont. Problem has been fixed. Apologies for not notifing you guys. Thank you all for your assistance.

Peter.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I would be interested in knowing what the fix was - any feedback? :tazz:

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi 1069,

I followed the instructions that EMCguy had suggested. It was complex but worked.

If its too hard, i suggest that you re-install windows. Then install Microsoft anitispyware. This is great software. Whenever ad-ware or whatever tries to install itself on your computer it blocks, and notifies you that it has.

I also have Macafee virus scan enterprise which also prevents intruders from hi-jacking your system.

Once these are installed you will never have to worry about anything. (touch wood)

Peter. :tazz:

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
glad to hear you got it fixed.

:tazz: :) :) :) :) :)

EMCguy