Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

extremely slow windows boot

• Please log in to reply

mr. nicksta

mr. nicksta

• Pip
  • 6 posts
right, this is an extremely weird problem (in my opinion and experience). so here we go:

my computer was working fine yesterday, no sign of problem or lack of resources. i restarted my computer and suddenly there seems to be a BIG problems.

Firstly, the computer is asking me how i would like to start up:
  • safe mode;
  • safe mode with command prompt;
  • last known good configuration;
  • etc..
i wasn't aware of any reason, for this to be coming up.

this is where the problem occurs..

which ever option i choose the start up progresses normally, with the windows logo and loading bar coming up.

after this the cursor appears but on a solely black background.

the computer seems to take a very long time from this point to continue with the loading. After about 20 minutes the "please wait whilst windows loads" screen appears.

The computer then takes an astonishing amount of time to progress past this point. Something seems to be hogging the resources/processor's time.

I suspect that the hard drive/system has not crashed since windows is loading - but at an elderly snail's pace.

I have not downloaded anything which could hide a virus recently (due to my including infuriating 56k connection in my house at the moment).

I cannot fathom out this problem at all. An added problem is that because windows is loading (but taking forever) it is perhaps unviable to use any windows based software.

so far, i have only managed to get the system to load up in safe mode with command prompt, and am not sure whether windows will load normally if i give it enough time. i will post whether this is possible at another time (after a couple of hours for the bloody thing to load!).

any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated.

thank you, nick

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

to topic then
- when you were is safemode did you choose last known good configuration
- how is the computer now
- it is a choice between system restore or spring cleaning the system, which would you like deteails on

mr. nicksta

mr. nicksta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry, provided system details when i signed up, so i thought they'd appear alongside my post.

details are as follows:

Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon 2.8Ghz
250 GB HD
512 MB RAM

the PC is approx just over a year old. I keep good condition of it, with regular defrags, and make sure that no unecessary programs are initialised at start up. so i don't think the problem is due to system clog up.

i started in both safe mode and last known good configuration. only recently i discovered that if i leave it long enough, it WILL eventually load up. However, i discovered this after choosing the safe mode with command prompt. With command prompt up it was taking around a minute or maybe longer even to run a DIR command.

Since then i have left it running (or should i say loading) as "last known good configuration", and will report back on how that turns out (but i expect since DIR commands were taking an extraordinarily long time, anything windows based will be very slow)

i don't really want to settle for a clean install, since i've got a lot of university work on my computer (studying computer science, and i don't want to hae to redo all my java programs!)

hope this clarifies things.

i'd also like to say, i'm not turning here as a quick solution. i've tried everything i can think of to remedy this situation, and searched at length on the web, but i've found no reports of such a long start up time, only reports of a maximum of 10 minutes.

thank you again, nick

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, we will try the spring clean first then

Time to use your "runbox" to clean your computer,
(all these steps are done with the run box then)

deleting the prefetch files
-----------------------------
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: prefetch
- press: enter
(the prefetch folder opens)
- press: ctrl + a
(select all is the same)
- press: shift + del
(deletes without prompt)

disc clean up
---------------
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons:winkey + r
- paste: cleanmgr.exe
- choose drive(normally C: )
(this process can take a long time)

checkdisk
------------
runbox command
- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: chkdsk /f /r
( black window appears)
- press: Y button
- reboot the comp
(this process is the longest, worse the screen may be
lost before hours later the computer arrives at the welcome screen)

disc defragmenter
----------------------
runbox command
- paste in the slot: dfrg.msc
- press enter
(this process can take a long time)

deleting internet cookies, files and history
-------------------------------------------------
- paste in the slot: inetcpl.cpl
- click: delete cookies
- click: delete file
- click: clear history

disable unwanted startups
------------------------------
runbox command
- press: winkey + r
- paste: msconfig
- click tab: start ups
- keep: the AV and firewall entriies enabled,
- disable: 100% unused or unneeded entries
- Unsure about the start up: http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/
(IMPORTANT: enable all startups before running the Hijackthis program)

mr. nicksta

mr. nicksta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
will try all these, but like i said, i always keep my pc running smooth as possible, and because there was such a dramatic shift in speeds (from completely normal -> extremely slow in the space of one restart, with nothing updated or installed prior to restart).

thanks, will report back about these, hopefully they'll have some beneficial effect.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I suppose it is just the step before system restore, but it has been known to work and lets hope it isn't hardware