Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection

• Please log in to reply

Chitown

Chitown

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I receive this error ""failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" whenever I try to repair my network connection and have tried netsh to repair IP and Winsock but it didn't help. I've removed the network card and reinstalled it but haven't gotten anywhere. It shows me as connected but there is no IP address assigned.

Please help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which netsh command did you use and which service pack do you have?

Chitown

Chitown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

and service pack 2

Chitown

Chitown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Chitown

Chitown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
FYI...This fixed it.

http://www.msmvps.com/bgb/

clearasmud

clearasmud

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I experienced this same problem, and found an easier solution that worked for me. Since I am running XP Pro. I chose a "system restore point" from 1 day prior to the start of the error. After the restore, everything worked! :tazz:

Urple

Urple

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried to fix the problem using Trashed TCP on your nic? , but was unable to re-install the TCP/IP after uninstalling it! It error'd, and read:

"Could not add the requested component. The error is: An extended error has occurred"

I have no idea what to do. Before trying this method of fixing the TCP/IP I first tried unticking/ticking the TCP/IP, then a system restore, rebooting in between. Neither worked.

Should I import the keys I deleted from the registry and return the settings & such back to normal? It still doesn't fix my TCP/IP problem....?

ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the same problem but its only for my 1394 connection, i got my wifi to work fine but i cant get my plug in to work for the life of me its really making me mad... could some one help me please!!!

alucard585

alucard585

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i get the same "failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" error.
Also, when i try to run ipconfig from the command prompt, I get
I'm running Windows XP Pro
Windows IP Configuration

No information is displayed after that. I can't run a system restore because the earliest restore point still has the same problem. Can anyone help?
I've been thinking about backing up all my files and reinstalling Windows XP Pro. Does anyone think this would solve the problem. Is there any other way?
Thanx

Edited by alucard585, 08 September 2007 - 01:20 AM.

Artist3d

Artist3d

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I had the same message after running a bunch of virus checkers and deleting everything they found.. AVG, SuperAntiSpyware & AVS.
"failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" suddenly became an issue after a reboot from running AVG a final time in Safe Mode.

Finally I did a file search for tcpip.sys and renamed every instance to "tcpip.sys_old" - essentially disabling it... Windows XP message came up immediately saying it needed to repair itself but I waited and proceeded to rename all instances of tcpip.sys found and then followed the instruction window and inserted my Windows XP disk and let it have its way with my computer... rebooted and wow! CONNECTION RE-ESTABLISHED all on its own. That is all I did.. no expert believe me, I have no clue why it worked, just used my imagination. ;-)

Hope it helps someone.

Advertisements

rom109

rom109

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I had the same message after running a bunch of virus checkers and deleting everything they found.. AVG, SuperAntiSpyware & AVS.
"failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" suddenly became an issue after a reboot from running AVG a final time in Safe Mode.

Finally I did a file search for tcpip.sys and renamed every instance to "tcpip.sys_old" - essentially disabling it... Windows XP message came up immediately saying it needed to repair itself but I waited and proceeded to rename all instances of tcpip.sys found and then followed the instruction window and inserted my Windows XP disk and let it have its way with my computer... rebooted and wow! CONNECTION RE-ESTABLISHED all on its own. That is all I did.. no expert believe me, I have no clue why it worked, just used my imagination. ;-)

Hope it helps someone.

ARTIST3D is a genious! I ran Adaware on my PC and killed TCP. I could not surf at all. Also, when I did IPCONFIG or PING to an IP it gave me TCP errors. I scoured google for 3 hours before I saw this post. I did as Artist suggested and renamed tcpip.sys to tcpip.sys_old. I also (probably didn't need to) removed the NIC from the Network list (I had already done this a few times) and then rebooted.

Anyhow... I'm back in action... surfing at a blissful 15Mbits down/2Mbits up with Verizon Fios! Thanks again!!!

Edited by rom109, 12 December 2007 - 10:25 PM.

Skyra

Skyra

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to second ARTIST3D as being awsome. I had to register for the site just to say thank you very much!

Skyra

net777

net777

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also would like to say thank you to ARTIST3D! It worked excellent! :)

Edited by net777, 05 January 2008 - 10:43 AM.

SouthTech

SouthTech

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks to ARTIST3D! Good fix. Sometimes simple problems really do have simple answers. Thanks

Growat

Growat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to perform Artist3D's fix but am having an odd problem. I rename the tcpip.sys file to tcpip.sys_old and as I'm looking at the renamed file in the driver folder, another tcpip file springs to life, clean and unaltered. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks