Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another hal.dll issue

• Please log in to reply

disinfertention

disinfertention

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got information off of this site and another trying to correct the problem. I reformatted and installed windows XP back onto my system today. Once it loaded I then installed all of my drivers and restarted my computer. It asked me which OS to start with giving 2 options of Windows XP Home Edition or Windows Default. When I pick Windows Default it says that hal.dll is missing. If I select WinXP HE it begins to load Windows XP then freezes in a black screen...

I followed the advice from kelley's korner that is also posted here on this forum. I took my HDD out and put it in another computer and copy and pasted the file. I also checked my BOOT.INI file. The same thing still happens. I'm sorta stuck on what I should do.

The below post in the original one explaining how I came to reformatting and installing XP again onto my system...

About 2 weeks ago I turned my computer on to a Pop up bubble warning of corrupted files inside of system32 among other places. Every program I opened made me get another warning about a corrupted file. My browser had reset itself and when I tried to use System Restore, it wouldn't work either. With nothing working I shut off my computer to try and restart it...

The computer started to boot through the BIOS then froze on a black screen. I got some advice to restart the computer and press F8 to try and restore the computer to the last known good configuration. Did this and it started to load drivers and froze. At this point I didn't know what was going on so I figured it would be best to get some professional help with it. I got someone to pick it up the next day.

Computer guy gets in touch with me and says that once he looked at my computer it appeared that the SouthBridge fan went out and cooked the Mother Board and my Graphics card. He said this was also why my HDD got corrupted fails and crashed. He tried to recover data but said the (I think it was) MPI Tables had something wrong with them and couldn't. At this point I wasn't going to pay him labor to install a new graphics card, mother board or anything like that so I asked for my computer back. After a day or three of delays he finally told me that he checked my computer personally and found that the motherboard was OK and so was my graphics card. I don't know if he was lying to me, trying to get money out of me.. or whatever. Either way there are no burn marks anywhere on my motherboard or graphics card.

So on advice from a friend who knows computers well, once I got my computer back and checked it out I took the HDD out and plugged it into another desktop. What I didn't know is that CHKDSK would run automaticly. I was going to run XP on his and check out the HDD that way. I got in too late to stop CHKDSK and then didn't want to shut off the computer in the middle of it. It froze while it was replacing the security ID of every file on my system about 80% of the way through and I had to restart it. I then skipped CHKDSK, loaded XP and accessed my HDD to find that about 80% of my personal files had been deleted.

Now with the only files which were TXT files that I wanted to recover gone I was going to reformat reinstall and start over pending the HDD is ok... I ran the rest of CHKDSK and disk defrag and then I got curious as to why this may have happened. It was pretty sudden and I don't know if it was some kind of virus or not... I had just run a virus scan with AVG a day prior and hadn't ran my computer again until the problem happened.

If anyone has any recommendations to ensure I get a smooth fresh start, I would appreciate any advice. Also if anyone knows what may have happened with my files, that would be a nice to know thing as well. Also, if I just can't see the burn marks because I don't know what to look for can someone tell me what it is I'm not seeing? I've looked my motherboard and VC over before so I know what it looked like prior to all this and I can imagine what a burn mark would look like although I haven never seen one myself.

If I missed any details let me know I'll try to add them. Thanks in advance for any help..

System Specs -
WinXP
ASUS A8N-SLI N-FORCE 4 SLI REV. 2 MB
ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ 2x512KB CACHE 939
2x CORSAIR 512MB DDR PC3200
DESKSTAR 160GB 8MB SATA
16X DUAL LAYER DVD±R/W
52/32/52 CD-RW BLACK
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1
EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7800 GTX 256MB
650 WATT ATX2.0

Edited by disinfertention, 10 August 2007 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

disinfertention

disinfertention

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Bumped for new content...