Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

pcidioot

pcidioot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have two pc's. The one Im working on is fine.The other one is faulty(problem 1).I took the hard drive out and connected with the one Im working on to copy all info.The problem is it shows me in the propperties that there is 21.2gb used space but I cant accessall of it to copy.What can I do.Is it maybe encripted or what?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How much can you access and what are you trying to access?
Second what is the "Fault" with the second system?
How are you copying files over?
Normally you would only copy data files as programs can be reinstalled and data can be imported back into the program as needed.
Also just so I am working with all the info I need

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

pcidioot

pcidioot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model intel celeron 2.66
The Motherboard brand and model p4m800-775 albatron
Ram amount and speed 256mb ddr400
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA ide
Hard Drive size and free space 82.3gb/ 55.4gb free
Any cards in PCI slots no
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started no

What happenned was: I switched off pc as per ussual.Next day when I pressed start button nothing happened.I was told by someone it could be power supply.I changed it and still nothing .The cpu fan start for a second and then nothing.thats when I took hard drive uot to copy every thing I can to other much bigger pc(hard drive size).
Lots of music photos docs and other data.I can see all program files but files and folders seems empty.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok it does seem like a PSu problem, but before I say for sure let's test the mb. Follow the instructions below and post back with results

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case witch could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, video card, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

pcidioot

pcidioot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have done everything you told me to do. Now the cpu fan doesnt even start anymore.Nothing else happens.I think the mb is shod???????????????

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello pcidioot

You should also have been informed

Befor touching any of the internal circuitry you MUST earth yourself out , to eliminate the risk of shocking any componenet..

EG: the RAM modules... , They are Electro-static sensitive

As much care as possible should be taken to reduce the risk of shocking any components !

EG: do not work on carpet , that is going to increase the chances of generating a static charge...

Don't wear clothing that is also going to increase the chances of generating this static charge..

I think you all get the drift :)

BTW: There is Wrist straps ( Good practice to use one... If you "play" inside the case a lot there well worth it.. ) to eliminate this possibility , not sure what they are worth in your area though lol ( For what there worth , they are well worth it... )

IF you don't have one , and cannot wait lol , ensure you earth yourself to the case... or a screw into the case ( Anything like that )

Best of luck !
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 19 April 2009 - 02:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point pcidioot I would have to say you are correct in your diagnosis. By taking the mb out of the case and testing it you have taken out the last possibility of it being the case. I'm sorry for having to tell you that but it's time to replace it.
The best part though is that with a new mb you can also do some upgrades, Like memory

Check Here or Here for motherboards that will work with your cpu

Check Here and Here for memory that will work on new motherboards

This would give you 2 gigs of memory instead of 256 megs you presently have. Almost 10 times the amount and it is faster DDR2 type also. You are looking about 70 to 120 for everything I believe. Please let me know if we can assist you with more questions you may have.

pcidioot

pcidioot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
THX FOR THE HELP.I WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND THE STUFF HERE IN SA AND NOT PAY A FORTUNE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK not a problem. Thanks for letting us know. If there is anything we can assist with let us know.

pcidioot

pcidioot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
YES.ABOUT MY KEYBOARD PROBLEM.CAN YOU HELP ME THERE?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Keyboard problem? I don't see any reference to a problem with your keyboard. Whats wrong with it?

pcidioot

pcidioot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have no idea whats happening.the keybord functions when pressing shift and any number key and more doesnt give me what it supposed to give.Is it a driver problem? example when shift and no 2 is pressed it gives me " and not the @ sign and so on

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a bad keyboard. Have you tried a different keyboard or put that keyboard on another system and tried it?
What kind of keyboard is it?
PS2, Wireless, USB

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
have you tried your regional settings for your keyboard ?

Start > All Programs > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options,
click on the Languages tab > click Details,
click Add,
here you can choose your input language and keyboard layout from the dropdown boxes,

once chosen click OK

now you can remove any settings that don't apply to you, or you can use the Default input language dropdown box to choose your settings
click Apply then OK and OK again