Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

have virus that redirects/blocks anti virus pages [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
By the way, I unistalled Avira and disabled the fire wall and still seem to be having the problem.

Also when I was able to get to teh windows update site - it scanned my computer and found that I needed the same update that installer is trying to install. I looked at the description and it says that it is already downloaded to my computer- but when I click install it zips through it instantly, but the auto update icon keeps popping up in the tool bar trying to install the same update again.

Edited by Arcbc30, 12 September 2009 - 09:30 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

but the auto update icon keeps popping up in the tool bar trying to install the same update again.

Not saying this is your problem but I did strike this once with someone on dialup where the update was just taking so long to download.

Are you on a slow connection perhaps?

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a 3 Mbps dsl connection that seems to be working fine. I just went and speed tested it and it came in a 2.86 mbps downloaded .32 mbps upload.
It seems to me as if windows update thinks the file is downloaded but it is not, or its partially downloaded or corrupted in some way, because it goes through a very fast little install, and finishes without any errors but I don't think thE update is installed? I just assumed it might be something I did in the final step, as Internet explorer started acting up at the same time?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
This is a long shot but you never know.

Let's check that your Windows Installer is not disabled or turned off.

In Start > Run type gpedit.msc and click OK. The Group Policies window opens. In both Computer Configuration and User Configuration go to Administrative Templates>Windows Components and find Windows Installer. In both places, be sure that it is not disabled or turned off.

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
All of the settings under both computer and user are listed as "not Configured" is that the way it should be?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

All of the settings under both computer and user are listed as "not Configured" is that the way it should be?

Yes I think that is correct.

Next on the list is this:

Download SREng
  • Extract it to Desktop and double click SREngLdr.EXE to run it
  • Select System Repair from the left pane.
  • Click on File Association
  • Select all entries that has an Error status click [Repair]
  • Refer to this image for an example:

Posted Image
  • Close SREng now.
Tell me if that makes a difference.

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That did not seem to help. Internet explorer hangs on start up nd windows update keeps "installing" the same update over and over.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okay I think it's time to go to the tech people.

When I research this I see that there are a number of solutions out there. Most of them seem to involve reinstalling .net framework. There are however different versions and I think there can be conflict if the wrong one is installed.

I am not a techie, go to the XP Operating System section here and post a new topic. Make sure you tell them you have been here so that they can have a look at what has been done so far.

Best of luck

emeraldnzl

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, Thanks for the help.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
You are very welcome. Posted Image

I will keep this topic open for a short while in case any issues develop.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.