Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright I already emailed someone but maybe I will get help faster on this. Alright my brother had the smart idea that he knew what was slowing down our computer. He went into add/delete programs and just started deleting stuff. He restarted the computer and we only had 16 colors. The only thing that I can think that happen was the he uninstalled the colors. :-/ My uncle suggested this website and he also told me to download whatever Everest is. He tried explaining to me and I just got more confused. So I got Everest and don't know what to do with it and have only 16 colors. So can someone PLEASE help me get through this!!! Thanks to anyone who reads and responds to this!

Edited by tattoolover420469, 17 July 2005 - 10:38 PM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Look at this post:

http://www.annoyance...in98/1044606998

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Do you think that there is any other way? I really don't want to take the risk of installing it and then it not work! But if that's the only way that you know of, then I guess I have to take that risk!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
This is not my field of expertise. I just googled for a solution and posted it.

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Do you know anyone else that could think of a way? Thanks for the help though. It is really appreciated. If you don't know anyone then I guess that's the only way. Thanks

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Basically, the link coachwife6 posted for you is saying that your computer is missing the video driver.

The way windows works, is that when it starts up, it looks for drivers for things like your sound card, your monitor, and your video card.

If windows cannot find the correct drivers, it will revert to using the standard windows drivers.

In your case, your video driver is missing, and so windows loaded up the standard video driver.

Since the standard driver is not really made for your video card, your monitor will only display in 16bit color mode.

To correct this, you need to install the correct driver for your particular video card.

First you must find out what kind of video card you have. You must know the manufacture, and the model number.

Everest is an information program that will tell you what kind of hardware you have on your computer.

If you install everest, and run it, you will see a screen listing many attributes related to your computer.

All you have to do is look down the list and find the item pertaining to Display. Expand the display key by clicking on the (+) sign and read what it says. There you should see a discription of what kind of video card you have and if you're lucky, the manufacture name and model number will be displayed.

Next you have to go to the manufactures site and find a driver for the video card and install it. This will enable windows to find the correct driver during startup and enable you to change from 16bit color to the maximum display color your video card is capable of through Display Propeties.

So...

The first thing you need to do if you don't know the manufacture name and model number of the video card, is EITHER install Everest and find it in the listing, OR... find your computer manual and find the information there.

Once you know what you're looking for, you can download the driver and install it. OR... You can post the video card information here, and someone will help you find a link to the correct driver, and also help you install it, to get you going again.

makai

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright this is what I found. I ran everest and click the display panel on the side. A list drops down and it has Windows Video, PCI/ AGP Video, GPU, Monitor, Desktop, Multi-Monitor, OpenGL. Now, do I click Windows Video to find out a description of my video card? If so this is what I found.

Field Value
Video Adapter Properties
Device Description Intel® 810e Chipset Graphics Driver (DC133 FSB133) 4.11.01.2523
Installed Drivers i81xdw9x.drv

Video Adapter Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com...se/chipsets.htm
Driver Download http://support.intel...upport/graphics

If that's not what we are looking for, can you tell me what to click? If you, can you help me go further on into the process?

Thank you so much makai!! :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to the link below and download Graphics Driver #1. Save the file to your desktop.

Close all running programs.

Double click on the downloaded file and follow the prompts.

After it installs, restart your computer.

After your computer restarts, go to Display properties, select the Settings tab, and change your Color quality.

http://downloadfinde.....18&submit=Go!

Make sure you come back and let me know how it went.

makai

Edited by makai, 17 July 2005 - 08:37 PM.

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
;) ;) :help: :help: :help: THANK YOU SOO MUCH! It worked! Thank you for helping me through this all. It is so greatly appreciated!! Thanks for all your time too. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm very happy it worked for you... now edit your post and change that grumpy face to a smily one!!! :tazz:

makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
:tazz: ;) ;) :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: :beer: :beer: ;) ;) ;)

makai