Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low disk space error

• Please log in to reply

LondonLad

LondonLad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Friends

Thank for reading this post and my request for assistance.

My computer in the past 6 weeks keeps displaying a "Low Disk Space" message and shows
that there is barely any available space left on the comp. This is incorrect as I track all the
space I use on the comp and know that I had a great deal of space left, even after deleting software - the message keeps coming up and refuses to run certain programs - now due to low memory and full disk.

I've recently wiped the comp and used restore disks. Everything was fine for a couple of weeks and again this message pops up and restricts what I can use on the comp. The computer has a 14GB hard-drive and this time around I know I am only using about 6-8GB. So I'm not sure what to do.

I have a firewall, 3 spyware and anti-virus - nothing has shown up at all. I've run Scandisk and Disk-Defrag - again no problems have shown up.

Comp stats: WinME, E-machine brand, 14GB, 64MB SyncDRAM.

Any help and assistance greatly appreciated

Warm regards

LondonLad
PA

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi LondonLad
Have you got the system restore turned on ?
With ME this can use quite a lot of space without you knowing it.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may have an error in your boot sector. You can run scandisk, run disk cleanup first, sometimes that will find the problem.

LondonLad

LondonLad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello PeterM and Tyger

Thank you both for your replies - sorry that I take a while to respond but I actually live in the
States - time difference and all.

here's an update: last nite my computer froze up - it thinks that since there's no space that there is no memory either. So I could'nt even open up wordpad. I had to wipe and restore the whole computer - luckily I back up files. But before this happened I did run my Ace Utilities program and guess what - it showed in the disk analysis that over 9GB were were stored in Restore!! (everything is else is well below) so Peter your're right.

But the prob was I could find anyway to adjust it or turn it off and then the system froze. Now that I've restored the system - it shows again that Restore holds the most GB over everything else. So Peter my question is how do I turn it off - I've tried using disk-cleanup and the help files but nothing works.

Also Peter - I come it holds so much info! before the freeze-up I noticed that the 9GB in Restore had files from a couple of years ago. I did'nt realise that deleting stuff was not keeping if off the system.

Thanks again for all your help - much appreciated.

LondonLad
(but in the US)

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here ya' go LondonLad,
To minimize or disable system restore.
Start
Settings
Control panel
System
performance
click on 'file system'
slide "sys. restore disk space use" to min.
*Or click "trouble shooting" tab and check "disable sys. restore"

Deleting files does nothing except remove them from your sight, they are still there. Not even a format will erase them completely. Eventually deleted files get overwritten by new files but this takes some time. There used to be a little programme floating around on google that would erase your hard drive and when it was done, you had nothing but zeros.

loxs

Edited by loxs, 09 November 2005 - 01:15 PM.