Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Problem

• Please log in to reply

spellbnd36

spellbnd36

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My color and screen resolutin has gane crazy. Went to display in the control panel. Screen resolution is at 640x400, it won't let me move it higher or lower. Color is at 16. Only choices are 16 and 2. The other choices that were there are gone. Help!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome spellbnd36 <_<

Another member had a similar problem in this topic.

You likely also have a problem with your video driver. I'd recommend you uninstall any existing driver if possible (try Driver Cleaner). Then download and install the latest driver for your video card. If you're unsure which driver you need, please reply to this topic. :D

spellbnd36

spellbnd36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
under driver file details i have C:\windows\system\vga.drv
and c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd(vdd.vxd)

under driver I have standard pci graphics adapter vga Do I delete both of these and if so how?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

under driver I have standard pci graphics adapter vga Do I delete both of these and if so how?

Okay, this tells us you don't have a video driver for your video adaptor installed, so Windows is using it's default display driver. That's why your display options don't allow you to select more colors, or another reslolution. Don't delete these.

Download the AIDA System Information Tool, and install it on your system. Run this program. Click on the Display Icon, and then the Windows Video icon. It will display the video adaptor installed in your system, as well as a link to where you can find the video driver.

spellbnd36

spellbnd36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Downloaded and ran aida.. clicked display icon and then windows video icon, there is nothing there.

spellbnd36

spellbnd36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
woohoo! Thank you, I got it working. Wasn't under windows video. IPCI/AGP video. Downloded driver and installed and it works. Thank you so much for your help.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for the response. Glad we could help! <_<