Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x7c882fc4 error finally solved.

• Please log in to reply

JohnDWelcome

JohnDWelcome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This error was like a plague. Popping everywhere with all kinds of .exe files.
When ever an error occurs its always best to ask what was the last thing you were doing before the error began. In my case I was installing a Logitech webcam and thats where my problem began.
I bought new memory. I turned off the DEP and even ran System Mechanic and none of them fixed the problem. It was only when I rolled back my registry to the day before the webcam was installed that the error went away.
I know I am a glutton for punishment, because after fixing the problem I reinstalled the Logitech webcam again thinking maybe the install currupted or something. Well the install went smoothly, but shortly after the 0x7c882fc4 happened again, so I rolled back again and problem solved.
In conclusion I think this error is somehow connected to a driver issue between the Logitech Web camera and the video driver of the ATI 9000 laptop video card. I even tried new drivers on the graphics card to no avail so maybe its a hardware incompatitbility. Any way remove the Logitech Cam and then roll back the registry to before you installed it. Uninstalling the camera wont fix the problem it lies within the registry. If you dont back up your registry regularly, you could try the windows rollback or editing the registry to remove all mention of the webcam (For advanced users) Hope this helps someone It took me a long time to crack this one.
John Welcome

Edited by JohnDWelcome, 24 August 2006 - 05:54 AM.

Advertisements

Resu Deretsiger

Resu Deretsiger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
John, you are a lifesaver!!! I did indeed install a logitech webcam, but woulda never thought it could cause something like this. Too bad I don't back up my reg, but now at least I know in which direction to proceed... I disseminated your solution (credit given of course) on a couple of forums where people were having similar problems.
Hats off, mate!

Resu Deretsiger

Resu Deretsiger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
So far I uninstalled the logitech cam and am keeping my fingers crossed. However, I suspect that, as you pointed out, I'll have to mess with my registry until the problem goes away. The question then becomes where exactly in the registry is the affected sector. I suppose that to find out, all we need to do is take a computer which never had the logitech installed, back up the registry, install logitech drivers, uninstall logitech drivers, back up the registry again and run a file diff on the two backed up registries. Sounds like a plan... too bad the only other computer accessible to me (my wife's laptop) also has the drivers installed :blink: :whistling:

Resu Deretsiger

Resu Deretsiger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Looks like simple deinstallation of the logitech webcam stuff has solved the 0x7c882fc4 problem. I haven't touched the registry, and for two days haven't had the problem recur. Keeping my fingers crossed. :whistling:

rallyline

rallyline

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just found this thread - as I have been looking for an answer to this problem also.

I too started to experience these problems actually while TRYING to install my new Logitech Webcam.

I don't know if it makes any difference - but my cam was a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX Plus.

What actually triggers these message I haven't quite worked out - but once they start - they pop up everytime a different application is accessed - it is driving me nuts!!

I have found a temporary solution is to reboot. For a couple of hours my pc then appears to be OK - before the [bleep] messages start coming up again. There doesn't seem to be a common reason for it starting - but I am trying to find a pattern.

If I ignore the boxes and push them off the side of the screen - everything appears to work fine - but if I click on close - as some of the boxes suggest - then the program will close.

Anyone any suggestions on how to actually CURE this problem?

Resu Deretsiger

Resu Deretsiger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Once I uninstalled the logitech stuff the problem went away for me, confirm, after 2 days there is no problem so far.

Have you uninstalled the logitech drivers and everything? Go to Add/Remove Programs and check. Did your installation complete ok?

Which graphics card do you have, by the way?

Resu Deretsiger

Resu Deretsiger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I must say, something is still off. I don't get the error message anymore, but at some point of a windows login session, I can't open any new executables unless I close some of the existing ones. Is it possible that this problem arises from the interaction of the logitech drivers with WindowsXP-KB909095-x86-ENU.exe, the windows hotfix KB909095 - which fixes XP SP2 hibernation problem on laptops with > 1GB memory? Do you guys have the KB909095 installed by any chance? BTW, the WindowsXP-KB909095-x86-ENU.exe as of Aug 15 is once again available for download from the windows support site (it used to be that you had to write to them to get it).

Maaan, how can I get my registry back in shape? Too bad JohnDWelcome is no longer here to enlighten us with his sagely advice :whistling:

Resu Deretsiger

Resu Deretsiger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
To crossref, a discussion on this topic is going on at http://forums.logite.../...ding&page=1 . Poll: for all those with this problem, do you or have you have had Kaspersky AV running on your machine? Please report the results of the poll either here or at the logitech forum thread.

Edited by Resu Deretsiger, 19 September 2006 - 06:44 AM.

MikeQ

MikeQ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I just started having this same problem

'The instruction at "0x7c882fc4" referenced memory at "0x7c882fc4", The memory could not be "written"'

but It came about under different circumstances. I installed Microsofts latest updates which included IE ver 7.0 beta. I begin having the problems right after the update. Allthough I enjoyed version 7.0 and all of it's new bells and whistles I decided to uninstall it thinking it would correct the problem. Now I am back to verion 6.0 and the problem still persists. I do have a logitec camera installed so I am hoping this is where my problem lies. My next step will be to uninstall and reinstall the camera. Any instructions before I try it?

Mike