Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojans: AIM, Backdoor, Apropop, HuntBar

• Please log in to reply

MollyM

MollyM

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi,

My family PC has obviously run into multiple Trojans. A few days ago I was on it, checking my mail and using AIM. AIM suddenly went crazy a black box (reminiscent of MS DOS) popped up and then it started sending IMs to everyone on my buddy list. In sheer panic I turned off my computer as quickly as possible and disconnected my cable modem from my PC.

I have been downloading various programs from my Mac Powerbook and attempting to run them on the PC. McAfee detected the Backdoor Trojan. I have also run the "Trojan Remover" and "The Cleaner". Between the two of them they found multiple instances of Aprpop and Huntbar. What's weird is that I'll run these programs, clean these files, and run them again and they'll come up clean. I'll run them a little later and they'll find more Apropop and Huntbar! This confuses me because I haven't been connected to the Internet since my initial problem. Are they multiplying?

I have seen your page with the recommended course of action. Maybe I'm overly paranoid but my first question is should I continue to download these programs on my Mac, burn them to a disk, run them WITHOUT updating (as I would have to connect the PC to the internet) and work from there? I'm just worried what these things are going to do should I give them the opportunity to plug back into the web.

Please let me know. Personally, I'm all out of ideas and can't even begin to follow some of those complicated expert repair strategies.

Thanks so much for helping me with my problem!

Advertisements

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
Hi MollyM,

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

~Kristy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Difficult to say, since we don't know what needs updating (when was it last updated?) Is it Sp1, or sp2?

MollyM

MollyM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Difficult to say, since we don't know what needs updating (when was it last updated?) Is it Sp1, or sp2?

View Post

Good question and one I should probably know the answer to. How would I go about checking if this computer has been updated (it's my family's computer, so I'm not sure if anyone else has does it)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start then control panel then add / remove then put a tick in show updates then look for windows hotfixes and SP2

MollyM

MollyM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Alright, I see a whole list of Windows XP Hotfixes followed by a bunch of Windows XP Hotfixes (SP2)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try the scan in safe mode then check if they still appear they could be part of the system restore set, so you would need to turn this off, reboot to safe mode then run the scan and check then turn system restore on

MollyM

MollyM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Posted my Hijack log in the malware forum here:
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=29473

Thanks