Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot find file error

• Please log in to reply

Exterminate

Exterminate

• Pip
  • 9 posts
when i try to open most of my files, i get an error message saying "cannot find the file filename (or one of its components). make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." ive tried repairing my windows using the windows installation disk but i still get the same error. the only difference after repairing is that i get the error message for rundll32.exe once. after successive restarts the message for rundll32.exe doesnt show up anymore. however, the the files are still inaccessible. this error occured after i ran the trendmicro housecall and removed some dll file.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

when i try to open most of my files, i...

View Post

what kind of files are these?

Exterminate

Exterminate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
theyre all exe files. i think none of the shortcut icons work either. half the files in control panel have the same problem too. also the same error occurs from trying to run any installation files. im still able to extract files from winzip though.

Edited by Exterminate, 19 July 2005 - 07:03 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, run through this list,downloading them all, but specifically the EXE and COM, and CPL ones

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

double click to install...

report back

Exterminate

Exterminate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
im assuming this works for windows 2000?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they should....run the CPL one first....see if that fixes the control panel....report back before moving on....sorry, mised the win2k reference

Exterminate

Exterminate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yea it ran, most of the things seem fixed. The only problem I have now is trying to setup my internet connection.

I went to make new connection and the network connection wizard opens like it should. I hit next and only see that im able to only select several options. Ignoring that I slect the dial-up to the internet and selected next. The internet connection wizard pops up and I selected the first choice (I want to setup my internet connection manually). I get to the 3rd step where it asks me to select a name, but it keeps giving me a popup saying that I cant create that name. I'll have a screenshot in a few after I take them.

edit--sorry made a mistake

Edited by Exterminate, 19 July 2005 - 03:54 PM.

Exterminate

Exterminate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted Image
some options greyed out

Posted Image
error message