Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
then theoretically it should be cooking....try to repair the connection again

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
How do I repair the connection?

I have 10 minutes before I have to get ready for work. How late are you available? Got a feeling this is going to be another day or more to get going?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll be here tomorrow

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I tried to run the dsl installation cd again, but it still cannot find the modem, although all the pings are working. I get in about 10:30 or so tonight, if you will be available then, I'd love to keep working to get it right.

Once I get it online, I can update the other drivers and hopefully get my Outlook Express working and maybe you can help me get my display to look clear again. That went why my mouse went. That's why I thought it was all connected.

Thanks again for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i won't be on that late but yeah we can try again in the morning..unless someone else has a clue

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thanks. Gotta get ready for work now. Already behind schedule. Check back soon.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

G'day Dsenette
Re this post ME
Since she can't get online what if she downloads all the drivers to her son's
or the other computer. If they are connected as I think they are. Can she see the other computer Down stairs? download the drivers to that and I think she needs IE 6 download that and copy across It sounds like they might have a network at home and don't know it?
Just a thought
Cheers
Peterm
Or I am completly wrong

basically the suggestion here (Since we have the drivers) is to attempt to get IE6 on the machine....but....still need to actually have you connected for ie6 to work...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

I was almost confident until I couldn't access the internet. I have DSL and tried to reinstall from the CD. Error: I don't have the correct version of Internet Explorer now.

This is where I was heading. They need IE6 for the connection to work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
BONZER! totally missed that one peter

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Hi, there! Thought I was going to take a break from the computer today till I saw your post.

I did install IE6 for WindowsME directly from Microsoft (Version: 6.0.2600.0000IS), unless the version installed is from the isp cd, but that kept telling me that it couldn't install. I continue to get a "Windows Update Setup" window when I restart that says "The Windows Update: Internet Explorer and Internet Tools files on you computer are not the correct files for your operating system. Setup will now download the correct files from the Internet. Do you want to continue?" However, that message may also be from the isp cd because I couldn't get the dsl to install.

Of course, I can't download IE because I still can't connect. Have tried everything I know. I was going to try to uninstall the IE and reinstall from the setup file I saved to disk again when I get home tonight.

I got back late with the kids today, so I have to run to get to work, but I will check back as soon as I get in tonight. Thanks for all your efforts. I really do appreciate having somewhere to turn. I was at a total loss for the first 2 weeks of this mess.

Thanks again. I'll check back tonight.

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Hi, there! Thought I was going to take a break from the computer today till I saw your post.

I did install IE6 for WindowsME directly from Microsoft (Version: 6.0.2600.0000IS), unless the version installed is from the isp cd, but that kept telling me that it couldn't install. I continue to get a "Windows Update Setup" window when I restart that says "The Windows Update: Internet Explorer and Internet Tools files on you computer are not the correct files for your operating system. Setup will now download the correct files from the Internet. Do you want to continue?" However, that message may also be from the isp cd because I couldn't get the dsl to install.

Of course, I can't download IE because I still can't connect. Have tried everything I know. I was going to try to uninstall the IE and reinstall from the setup file I saved to disk again when I get home tonight.

I got back late with the kids today, so I have to run to get to work, but I will check back as soon as I get in tonight. Thanks for all your efforts. I really do appreciate having somewhere to turn. I was at a total loss for the first 2 weeks of this mess.

Thanks again. I'll check back tonight.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
are you set for dhcp or static ip on your ethernet card

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I'm pretty sure it is DHCP, but I don't recall how to check it?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
in the network and dialup connections highlight tcpip and then check properties

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I'm guessing now that the IE6 I thought I installed from my saved setup file was actually from the isp cd because my setup file now requires me to download files in order to install it. Of course, this is after I have just uninstalled what I had.

I'm trying to reinstall from the cd now.