Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboards don't work, locked out of windows

• Please log in to reply

jozga

jozga

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I am stumped with this one.

Keyboards have apparently stopped working on my computer. I have tried 2 ps/2 keyboards and a USB one borrowed from a mac. Nothing happens, occasionally it makes a keyboard missing beep when starting, but it seems inconsistent.

I use a USB mouse, so I don't see why a USB keyboard wouldn't work.

This has happened at a annoying time, because currently the only way I can get into Windows is to use safe mode (actually windows does boot, but the monitor won't turn on- this is an unrelated issue). As I can't pick safe mode with the keyboard, I am locked out of Windows.

I can't get into bios either, obviously.

When I boot with a ps/2 keyboard plugged in the lights on it flash on, so it is getting power (although I am not sure if the lights are meant to stay on longer).

Didn't install any updates, change any hardware... can't scan for malware...

Seems like there is nothing I can do, any help would be appreciated, searching the forums hasn't revealed anything.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
reset the bios, make sure the keyboard works on other comps, and maybe try a dv-9 connector.

Nixx

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the reply, will try resetting the bios.

The keyboards definetly all work on other computers.

If this doesn't work I will try removing PCI cards and things from the motherboard and seeing if that estores connectivity.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Mouse & PS2 Keyboard Issue
Date: 30th Sept - 2005
Poster jozga

The Keyboard that you were using originally - is it PS2? – There are documented issues using PS2 Keyboard & USB Mouse -

It is best to use both [INPUT] Devices on same Interface - Do not mix -

1st Option – [Use both PS2 Ports] – (Recommended) – Only if Mouse is a Hybrid

Turn your mouse over & see if it says [PS2 Compatible & USB Compatible] - If it is then you probably/should have a [USB to PS2] Adapter that came in the Box - Use it to connect to the [Mouse PS2] Port - ONLY IF IT IS A HYBRID MOUSE - [PS2 & USB Compatible]

2nd Option – [Use both USB Ports]

The USB Keyboard did not work probably because you must [ENABLE] the [USB LEGACY KEYBOARD] in BIOS - [ADVANCED] > [INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS] Settings -

That is why you could not get into the BIOS with the USB Keyboard -

Use your PS2 Keyboard to get into BIOS & [ENABLE] the [USB LEGACY KEYBOARD] setting then SAVE & EXIT BIOS- & reboot with both USB MOUSE & USB Keyboard -

USB devices need to be in an OS environment – In your case [WINDOWS] their drivers are [WINDOWS INSTALLED] – BIOS will have instructions to control a USB Keyboard in BIOS thru the [USB LEGACY] – but that has to be [ENABLED] 1st –

(That is why you hear Keyboard beep during Boot up & Blink during Windows Installation Process – when the status bar is Ύ way & hesitates – USB Drivers are being loaded during Windows Installing Process - )

3rd Option – [Reinstall PS2 Keyboard Driver] -

Probably you received an [AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE] from Microsoft recently – and had driver replaced (?)

When you are in [SAFE MODE] – PC loads a basic driver so it generally will work in [SAFE MODE] only –
See if you can do a Restore – so you get original driver back – Then Reboot in [SAFE MODE] and reinstall your driver – The only problem – it will happen again at some other time –

Just a 3 quick questions for my info –
(1) - Are Keyboard & Mouse – [NON MICROSOFT]
(2) – Are they Samsung Keyboard and/or Logitech Mouse? by any chance?
(3) – If not What are they –

Jack123

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After resetting my bios everything started working again. I am not sure why this happened as I have used this keyboard and mouse combination for ages on this computer with no problem.

Anyway, it's all good now, which is a relief.

Not sure if it is relevant, but the mouse is an MS intellimouse explorer, and the keyboard is a Cherry.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
What did you reset in BIOS? I keep a database on issues & like to record details -

Jack123

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Took out the battery and cleared the CMOS to reset the bios. Still unsure why I had to do this, but it was really my only option.