Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus surviving harddrive reformats

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DanSun1222

DanSun1222

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

My computer is being completly dominated by a virus that I know very little about and am having alot of trouble fighting. Originally Windows Task Manager would open for a second and then close, so I belived it to be a service called "windows drivers 32" which I disabled in my services.msc. Then my internet works for a few minutes when I reboot my computer, however soon taskcntr.exe appears in my processes and the internet stops working. So I disabled TaskESV in my services. However the problem still exists. More troubling is that I cannot install any programs because the computer will stop responding halfway through installation. I ran Panda (sine I cannot install daware or spybot or any thing like that) and it said that I had 2 types of Hacker tools on the computer before it again crashed.

The worst part is that I have now reformated 3 times. I have two hardrives, (C: and a D: for media) and I am reformating the C: drive simply by going through the XP setup disk and deleting the partition. Everytime I log on the computer for the first time, the problems begin happening again. I have no idea how to beat this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c I am beginining to think I will need to buy a new computer :tazz:

HJT log )program crahed halfway through, but I think the log is complete):

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:42:50 PM, on 10/5/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
D:\Spyware\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx (file missing)
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab

Although I have deleted it multiple times (From safe mode) and shut off it's service, the file "windrvrs32.exe" always appears in C:\WINDOWS as well as "taskcntr.exe". This must be the problem.

Edited by DanSun1222, 06 October 2005 - 12:49 AM.

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Topic closed - OP has started new thread on same topic.