Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recognizes only ~500 ram?

• Please log in to reply

Swift

Swift

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hey, I have 1gb ram. But, when I go to play a game, which uses up some memory, it just freezes up. I go to CTRL ALT DEL and see that it's using 100% of CPU.

Anybody know why or how to solve this?

I am using Windows XP SP1

-=EDIT=-
Just did a BIOS update. Hope this will solve it..I'll let you know.
*Rebooting*
Didnt work.

I am trying to play the game Star Wars Battlefront 2, and my system specs is in a post below \/ ( Attachment )

Edited by Swift, 19 November 2005 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 520M of RAM is what the system is currently using, not the amount of memory in the system.

Swift

Swift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Oh. Well it doesn't go any higher. And my game freezes...And it also says it's using 100% CPU

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Might help if you said the GAME, as well as listing more system specs (video, sound, etc)

Most games require the latest drivers, and disabling running programs will often help. Also, update the game with the latest patches.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you checked the specs on your motherboard? Older boards may not be able to see a one gig stick of ram. You may need two 512mb sticks instead, or even four 256mb on some older yet machines.

Swift

Swift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes I believe I'm using two 512 meg sticks.
The game is Star Wars Battlefront 2, sorry for not mentioning it.
I attached the report.txt file that Everest gives me.

Thanks for answering :tazz:

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
From what I have read, your motherboard supports up to 2GB of PC2700. Allowing for 1GB sticks on each of the two DIMM slots you have available on it.

When you right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES, what does it say for how much memory you have under the GENERAL tab?

Fenor

Swift

Swift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
It says 1.00 gb

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Your computer is reading the memory correctly, so most likely there is a malware problem that is causing your current problem.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

Swift

Swift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Okay thanks, I'll do that.