Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 2 Direct X Error

• Please log in to reply

reeve

reeve

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just purchased COD2 and when I started it up it gave me a "DirectX® encountered an unrecoverable error" and opened up the direct x FAQ. I then downloaded the newest version of direct x...still the same error. I restarted my comp and when I try it again, it works..until I start a new game and it goes half way through loading and then crashes to the same error. Here are my specs, and please help for I am quite frustrated as I have spent the past 2 hours on the web trying to fix this :tazz:

GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB AGP 8x
AMD 64 3200+
1 GB PC 3200 RAM

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6800 gt isnt the problem because I have one and it plays cod2 fine with no problems for hours even overclocked.

Check to make shure again you got the direct x 9.0c.

Try to Update your video card drivers.

reeve

reeve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have installed the newest Nvidia drivers, installed DirectX 9 again, have even reinstalled the game again, have set my sound options to "basic" as Activision's customer support online suggests. Yet I have yet to play the game :tazz:

shadowr434

shadowr434

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the exact same problem as you. I reinstalled DX9c, I checked all settings, I even wiped my drivers clean and installed the latest and still the same problem. I made it through training and the first fight before the error half way loading the next one.

stoogiesmoke

stoogiesmoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Got one here also, we have yet to play the game. The error comes up with unresolvable error. :tazz:

Need help really really want to play :)

Thanks for any help

shadowr434

shadowr434

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyone have any more advice on this topic? I set the game to the optimum settings and got ahead a little more but it has happened again now and its still set to the same settings. I'm getting really frustrated with this game. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this error.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
shadowr434, After you set the video settings to optimum go back and lower everything lower yourself. Or you could put everything to the possible lowest and work your way up a hair each time.

shadowr434

shadowr434

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I sure don't get it, relatively high end system with everything up to date and yet cant play it the way its meant to be played.

reeve

reeve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright guys ive been emailing back and forth with this guy at activision's customer support. I just tried it and it did not work for me yet it might help for one of you. I replied again telling him it didnt work for me so hopefully I might get this fixed. Heres what he said:

"Your page file usage is well beyond what we recommend for gaming. You are currently using about 260MB we recommend a page file used of 100MB at max. You need to make sure you shutdown all background applications.
1) Go to start -> run
2) Type msconfig, hit ok
3) Go to the startup tab
4) Everything checked in here is a program that starts when windows does. None of these should be necessary for Windows to operate. Please take note which ones are checked (for your records later).
5) Uncheck everything
6) Click on the Services tab
7) Make sure the box at the bottom next to "Hide all Microsoft services" is checked
8) Uncheck everything in this list as well
9) Hit ok, reboot as prompted (if you get an error message about starting in diagnostic mode, just click on the checkbox to not show this again)"

Edited by reeve, 26 December 2005 - 08:20 PM.

ayta

ayta

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all
i m , Call of Duty 2 v1.01 Dual Core Processor Patch download and installed.
but i m not found this patch crack exe file. please help thanks.

and cod2 DirectX unrecoverable error on my computer.
it's patch relase on this error.

thanks best regards....

Advertisements

reeve

reeve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have gotten the problem fixed on my computer!! The activision guy told me to roll back to these older video card drivers and once I did I am now playing all of COD2!! These are the NVIDIA ones he told me to use: http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_77.77.html

Hope that helps.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ayta

We dont help anyone that has anything to do with cracks, illegal obtained software, downloaded software, pirated ect...

You should of read the contract when you signed up for geekstogo.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have gotten the problem fixed on my computer!! The activision guy told me to roll back to these older video card drivers and once I did I am now playing all of COD2!! These are the NVIDIA ones he told me to use: http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_77.77.html

Hope that helps.

Cool reeve, I use the nforce drivers 78.01 and it runs any game fine. Cod2, kingkong, hl2,farcry,f.e.a.r,gta san andreas, :tazz: everything..

(Spirit)

(Spirit)

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Everyone,

I also get this error.

I was wondering if my onboard card is simply not capable of handeling the game? It should not be the case. I will try some of the things you all have suggested and found out.

This is my chip: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

I have the latest version of directX, I have updated all drivers I can find and I still get the error, so I will see if your suggestions will work :tazz:

Here are some helpful things I have learned, from HP and from reading about the gobs of other people who have this error.

Here is a direct link to the DirectX 9.0c (latest version)
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

If you need to locate your graphics card,
You can verify the Graphics card installed in the PC by performing the
following steps:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.
2. Double-click the system icon. If the System icon is not found
directly under Control Panel, click the Performance and
Maintenance icon and then click the System icon.
3. The System properties Window opens. You can open the System
Properties window directly by pressing the Windows key and
Pause/Break key simultaneously.
4. Click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.
5. Click the plus (+) sign next to the Display Adapters
6. Here the Graphics card installed will be listed

Other Resources that might help, from Activision:

https://activision.c...li=&p_topview=1

https://activision.c...de_system.php#2

Edited by (Spirit), 29 December 2005 - 03:22 PM.

timbo00

timbo00

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
need graphics card dude