Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help now

• Please log in to reply

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help:
hey every1
lets see
first bout 3wks ago my monitor would shut off and the tower would stay on
so i came on the live chat and was told to check my settings and it says never turn off monitor
then i told my teacher and she said it probably the vid card and i said but it not more than 4months old and she said well they do go out so i went and bought a new one and i realizd that it was a pci express card and i didnt ave the slot for it so i went and got the rit card and i figured why not get a new monitor so i got a 15" flat screen and i thought it fixd it but it didnt
it would be fine for lik a couple days and then it would do it again
and i even switchd 2 a older card and it still did it
then i switchd 2 the card that is only 4 months old and it workd better but then it wouldnt let me see ne ting in the windows as in wen u bring up lik messenger windows or lik mcaffe so now i dont know what to do
i switchd back to the new card and it doin the same ting
i dont know what to do ne more
im tinkn maybe it the power supply
i need Help
thxs in advance
by the way im on my dads comp downstairs
:) :rofl: :rofl:

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try going into the Display Properties and reducing the resolution to 800 X 600 and 16bit. See if that will allow your system to run. Also lower the refresh rate into the 60 to 75 Mhz range for now.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
thats wat the display is at
and it wont let me boot in normal mode even wen it does it doesnt stay on that long
how do i set the refresh rate
by the way im in safe mode now
wen i tryd to start it up lik not even an hr ago it wouldnt load as in the fan would run but the green lit wasnt on u know the one on the outside of the monitor so i just kept turnin it on and off until it did and i even switchd the vid card to the 4-5months old card
it may be the new card even though it only lik not more than 2wks old

Edited by Jolen98, 01 January 2007 - 04:45 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Restart the unit and tap F8 on startup. There should be a startup similar to VGA mode only. This loads a default VGA driver.
See if this keeps the display showing. If so, then you most likely have corrupted drivers for the card.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm what r u talkn bout wit the vga mode

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The VGA mode is like in safemode graphics and refresh rate but the rest of the OS is loaded normally.
After u hit F8 there is a menu choose the VGA mode
Is you'r monitors power connected to the tower or separate?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Here is the Boot Menu with the ENABLE VGA MODE option.

Posted Image

Jolen98

Jolen98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well i found the vga mode thxs
and it still shut off the monitor and the monitor is connectd 2 the tower
i even tryd all my 3 cards( the new 1 nvidia 5200 agp as in lik not even more than 2wks old, somewhat old nvidia mx 4000 i tink as in lik 4-5months old, and the last one very old nvidia riva
all cards make the monitor shut off so it cant be that ther all corruptd that not possible and the monitor it new 2 as in lik the same amount of time as the new vid card so it cant be that
could it be the power supply

to let every1 know im on my dads comp downstairs seein as his works so that is how im replyn thought every1 should know that

i will be gettn a laptop in bout 6-8months but i need my comp 2 work so i can do school and whateve else i need to do on it
so ne help is needed

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try and connect the power of the monitor to a socket and not to the tower.
It could b that the PSU is the problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Install your monitor on your Dad's and see if it works. This will eliminate the monitor as a problem.

Need some computer specs.
--Age of computer?
--OS?
--How much ram?
--How big is Hard drive?
--How much free space?
--What size is the power supply? wattage? should be a tag on side that gives size. 250. 300. 450. etc.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
it cant be the monitor it new lik 2wks old
i was wrong wen i said the monitor connectd the tower sorry it conecctd to a surge protecter wit all the other stuff sorry
it custom built so lik maybe 5 yrs or more old
hard drive 80g
i tink i ave lik 256ram
free space lik 40-50g
os win xp sp2
for power supply it really doesnt say and i lookd all over it
all i could find was a little switch that u slide wit your finger on the back that says 115v and then wen u slide it goes it says 230v
wen i put it 2 230v the computer wouldnt run

Edited by Jolen98, 04 January 2007 - 05:02 PM.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
come on peeps help me plz

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you want to be helped, then you need to follow thru on what we ask.

Did you try the monitor on your Dad's comp? We need to isolate the monitor as a possible problem.

Give us all the info on the tag on the psu unit. Sometimes the wattage is hidden.
The psu could be bad, or very low wattage, 12v line not strong enough. Any combination can create issues, esp with all the new components on units that are power hungry.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well i dont need help ne more so thxs neways
i finally got it lookd at and the guy said it either the motherboard or the power supply so now im just gonna save up 2 buy both