Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to swap master HD's without slaving?

• Please log in to reply

JSlayer

JSlayer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello all,

Thanks for taking a minute to read my post. Let me start out with the system specs and then I'll get to the issues.

This is a brand new build. Nvidia nForce 680i MB, Intel C2D 6600 2.4 GHz proc, 2x Corsair xms2 1gb 800GHz RAM (I already set the voltage to 2.1V in the bios), 20gb Maxtor Ultra HD (master), 400gb Seagate Barracuda (slave), EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT vid, Lite-On 20x DVD burner, Rosewill 550w Power supply, and I'm running XP SP2 (or at least it was before I did the HD swap).

Now for the issues. This is my second computer build to date and the actual hardware install went deceptively smooth. When I turned it on the first time there were no sparks or explosions so I was feeling pretty good. I even got the good boot code from the MB. Then when the Windows screen came up BAM instant blue screen and restart. It stayed in this loop until I shut off my computer manualy.

Some back ground first; Everything in this build is new except the HD's. Both HD's came out of an older computer that was working fine before the swap.

To try and fix the bluescreen crash loop I switched the boot order in the bios to the XP CD. When I booted from the XP CD it brought me to the screen where it shows any previous installs of XP. I saw my original install and clicked repair. After the repair process the bluecreen crash was gone, my desktop came up and all my icons were there and my wallpaper was there, YEEEE HAWWWWW! I fixed it right..........WRONG! :)

After executing a flawless robot dance in celebration my hopes were dashed as I clicked icon after icon and got nothing but problems. Itunes displays my entire library of songs but won't allow me to play any of them. Internet Explorer, which I had upgraded to IE7 before the swap, was now displaying as IE6. For some reason all of my links under favorites were still there but it was IE6. I DL'ed the IE7 executable on another comp and then used a mem stick to transfer it over. The upgrade to IE7 was succesful but I still had no internet connection. I tried to update through windows, and again, I couldn't get a connection to the interwebz. To active windows I had to call on the phone, that's right the phone.....I felt so dirty! I'll have to do the same thing for my office 2003 programs if I can't get on the internet.

I've done several checks on my router and cable modem and all cables associated with this connection and they're all working fine. I rebooted both the cable modem and the router and still nothing. I went into DOS and looked at IPconfig and there was no IP address listed, no subnet mask, nothing. I did ipconfig/release, then ipconfig/renew and still nothing. All cards are seated properly. All power connections are good. I'm running out of ideas. :)

I'll post an edit if I find out anything more on my own. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When you perform a Windows Repair, the computer will forget about the old hardware but you need to feed it some details about the new hardware. as you've found out, you can't just swap the board under Windows XP and expect it to boot straight away, in 99% of cases it will fall over.

Have you run the drivers CD that came with your new board? This will contain the drivers for your new board, which includes the network adaptor.

Also when you repair, some programs go back to their original versions and you often experience issues until those programs are upgraded again. So if you had IE7 before and you repair, it'll go back to IE6. Media Player 11 reverts back to Version 9. Therefore go to Windows Update to get these all back again.

Edited by Neil Jones, 15 March 2008 - 05:41 PM.

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Neil,

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm going to look at my pile of disks and see if I have that pesky driver CD. The MB I'm using was the replacement for an RMA'ed unit I smoked on my first build (always make sure your MB stand-offs line up with your MB screw holes or you will see and hear sparks and your MB will die a horrible death, I could'a sworn it was 10 not 9). :)

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Neil,

Thanks so much for the advice. The driver disk solved 2 of my problems. I now have internet connection and my Itunes library plays through Itunes with no issues. I think the Itunes issue may have been from the audio drivers contained on the same disk because I'm using the onboard sound jack. I was able to update my anti-virus program as well. Everything was going smooth until I tried to update Windows.

The first time I went to Windows Update it started to validate my OS, but it failed. After some reading and a little detective work I figured out I never set the correct time and date in the bios. :) Once that was all set I tried again and it validated with no issues.

Then I went back to Windows Update and it said I needed "Windows Installer 3.1". I tried to DL and install, but it failed during install. I never actually saw the DL, it seemed to go straight into install mode. The status bar would complete almost immediately and then it said 1 program failed to install, "Windows Installer 3.1". I tried rebooting and I get the same thing, I've used the windows website and the auto update icon that pops up on the taskbar and they both fail. As soon as the install fails the auto update icon pops up again telling me updates are ready for install.......taunting me :)

Since you did such a great job on the other problems, is there any chance you know what I'm doing wrong this time, LOL!
:) Again, thanks for the help! :)

Edited by JSlayer, 16 March 2008 - 02:30 PM.