Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

prefetch

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I want to speed up my XP home PC and have read in the forums that a good idea is to clear all items from 'prefetch' but I have also read that it not a good thing to do.
If its a good idea I assume it will have to be done periodically.

Any opinions please - Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, cleaning out the prefetch periodically is a good idea. The files int he prefetch are used to help speed up the running of processes/programs, but they can get cluttered with a lot of programs/processes that are not run that often. Therefore, it is good to delete these every now and then. After you delete these, the next time you boot your computer and open programs, it might take a little bit longer then normal as the prefetch file for the program is created, but after that it will open as it normally does.

Having only prefetch files for the programs you run frequently will speed things up, because Windows won't have to look through so many files to find the prefetch file for the program that is being run, being that all the prefetch files for the programs that are no longer run no longer exist.

Fenor

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks Fenor

I'll do some 'prefetch' clearing out

Once again thanks for the advice :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech