Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow internet after trojan removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

HungryMan

HungryMan

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
after i noticed my computer had a trojan and was running slow including the internet i came here to get help assuming all would be fixed at once but they weren't. my internet on my desktop here with a usb wireless adapter on it is running a bit slow.

i am currently pulling between 1 and 4 mbps averaging about 2-3 mbps down. and uploading between 1 and 2.5 mbps. the upload i am happy with. my connection type is spec at 9mbps down and 2mbps up. i have two laptops that can pull full speed. even this usb adapter i put on another desktop and it was able to pull full speed. i used to to high speed internet tech support over the phone so i have done the basic steps and have cleared all temp and hist and cookies. and i even went as far as rebuilding the network. nothing seems to be helping. my PC is a p4 1.7 gig processor with 2 gig ram. so the pc should not be causing this. and i was told in my last topic about this pc that all logs have been cleaned so there shouldn't be any viruses or malware. signal strength is excellent.

anything i can do?

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there HungryMan,

How are you testing your Bandwidth speeds?
When you are testing your bandwidth speeds, Do you have your other devices connected, or only the device being tested?

I don't have any ideas -yet- but I am hoping that after a few questions I will get some more information to work with :)

Regards,
Olrik

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i have tested bandwith at speakeasy.net and speedtest.net, both of which we used at the company i used to do internet tech support at. here are some logs of the speeds THIS morning (another note is that i was always instructed to get reliable results to use a server far away from my physical location)

Posted Image

Posted Image

the speedtest.net i used the suggested server(which is close to me) and the speakeasy.net i used a server across the country

now you can see by these results that i am not getting near my speed, the (54g belkin) usb wireless adapter can be added to another computer and pull either full speed or close. and the router matches the usb device (they came together in a package)

When you are testing your bandwidth speeds, Do you have your other devices connected, or only the device being tested?

^^ not exactly sure what you mean here, my system is set up and nothing changes: keyboard, mouse, monitor, nothing other internet devices or anything and no local network.

p.s. thank for the reply and help, let me know if you need any other info

one more thing if it is needed this system is locking too http://www.geekstogo...gs-t247730.html

Edited by HungryMan, 05 August 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

^^ not exactly sure what you mean here, my system is set up and nothing changes

I actually meant other machines. :)

I have closed your other topic, as having 2 topics at the same time can be counter productive.
I did include a link to this topic :)

And for other people's reference, This is the link to HungryMan's Malware Topic:
http://www.geekstogo...PK-t246972.html

Regards,
Olrik

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
those test were done with only my system booted up. and in my home i have a maximum of two computers online at a time and this would be the only one pulling bandwidth.

i just walked to the other room and ran a speedtest.net test and it is pulling 7.9mbps right now and this one still under 2

another update this morning 7/7 i switched this pc over to a hardwire connection and it is strange most of the time i am still getting the same results but i think it was maybe 2 out of 10 or so that were a little better in speeds, but overall same issue.

Edited by HungryMan, 07 August 2009 - 11:44 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello HungryMan,

Please see if you have the same issues in safe mode with networking:
  • Reboot your machine.
  • After you hear the first beep keep tapping F8.
  • You'll get a menu up and should be able to select safe mode with networking.

I am not 100% sure if you can do the speedtests, but please give it a go :)

Regards,
Olrik

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
so i believe we can identify this as a wireless issue, when in standby (as i am right now) with my wireless connection this is what i am pulling

Posted Image

when i was hardwired i was pulling about 6 or so and i know i have had this usb adapter pull at least 6 so i do not know what the problem is

i switch back to hardwire and am now getting a really nice connection on this test

Posted Image

but i would like to run wireless as i have a 70ft ethernet cable running through my hallway now

Edited by HungryMan, 10 August 2009 - 11:08 AM.

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
and here is another hardwire speed test and it is slow again yet the wireless laptop get consistent 8-9mbps

Posted Image

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'm going to ask a few other techs to take a look at this topic.
Please be patient while we do some checking up :)

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the slow wireless speeds the same if you move the laptop somewhere else...how about closer to the router...
could be a fan or microwave,cordless phone, just about any kind of electrical interference...
did you try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it...

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
as i said i used to do internet tech support so all those things have been checked. signal strength is excellent and this is a desktop. but everything has been re-installed and all.

i am getting a bit more worried right now about the computer itself. it is starting to slow down a lot and all my scans are still coming back clean. i mean i want my internet speeds back but my computer needs to work too

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I would not think that it would be a problem with the computer itself.

If you have the ability and this is a desktop I would recommend just keeping it hard wired. My experience with wireless connections on desktops has never been a happy one.

Where are you located in relation to the router.(Please give distance in feet.)
What physical objects(walls, electronic equipment etc) are between the desktop and the router.

Signal Strength does not always equate to good signal. It is only part of the equation.

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i am less than 20 feet away and there is one (paper thin) wall in between. the wireless laptop can sit right here and pull 9mbps wireless. i will for now keep it hardwired but i want to go back wireless. a friend gave me a whole load of computer stuffs and i am in the midst of building a new better one so i may not even be using this one at all.

this computer is running like crap to be 1.7 gig with 2 gig of ram...it is running more like a 900 mhz with 256 mb of ram. and that is sad!

Edited by HungryMan, 13 August 2009 - 12:58 PM.

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
this can be closed i will open a new thread in a few days as i will be using different hardware.