Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boots Up Distorted, Mouse Poofed

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Nope there's no copy option either...ok...I opened WinEX...went to programs >IE >highlighted cos edit/select all and right click doesnt provide a cut or copy option and I cut and pasted it into the OLD UNINSTALL I juse created and left the Original UNINSTALL empty...thats what you wanned?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 08:54 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you back up one level, can you right click and copy the folder (Uninstall Information)?

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Crossed posts..lol...my current status in my c:programfiles/IE is...the original uninstall folder is empty and the newly created old uninstall folder houses all the files...shall I proceed to installing IE6? (written to clarify that I didnt misinterpret what you wanned me to do )

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 08:59 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...try to install the IE6... :tazz:

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
SUCCESS!!!!! AT LONG LAST....I have IE6 (as confirmed when I click on Help and About IE)...the yahoo mail ActiveX problem is no more....but man does everything look different!!!! Did Yahoo change their home page format? Thank you soooo much Wannabe1. I dont know whether I wanna touch the mouse thing right now...all this stuff is wearing me out...lol....plus I am feeling so guilty tying up so much of your time... Thanks again....Can I just do a search on those AOL files and delete them or are they doing no harm?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 09:17 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yesssss...... :)

You can now delete the folder you created...UninstallOld.

And yes, Yahoo did make a few changes.

I've lost track...have we addressed all the problems now? :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 06 March 2006 - 09:19 AM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Well I am still using a pinmouse that I swear is gonna give me Carpal Tunnell...but am willing to wait my turn again....Success is so sweet isnt it? Another bonus for me is that I feel like I have learned so much...not that I could probably duplicate it on my own but truly feel that I have gone where I have never ever ventured on my own..lol...scary stuff...yet fascinating...I envy you all that you are able to do this...truly

THANK YOU!!!

ps...I am thinking I should remove some of the diagnostic tools you had me load on and then run a thorough scan disk and defragg.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 09:22 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you been into the BIOS setup to see if Legacy USB support is enabled? Another thing to try is to install the software that came with the USB mouse again.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
into the Bios setup....rotfl...are you outta your mind??? ha ha....certifiably if not terminally B L O N D E....he he...even the word scares me!!!

:tazz: that having been said...seriously my answer would be no as I have no idea where that is.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 09:26 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's go there.

Reboot and, during the boot sequence, tap the F1 or Delete key to enter "Setup" (It will tell you at the bottom of the first splash screen which key to press..."Press [key] to Enter Setup")

There will be several catagories in the BIOS setup, and because all BIOS versions are a little different, you'll have to look around a bit. You're looking for "Legacy USB Support". Use the arrow keys to navigate to the item, "Enter" to select it, and the + or - keys to change the setting. Save the change by pressing F10 (usually) and exit the BIOS setup. If you find this setting disabled and change it, shut the machine down, attach your USB mouse, and power the machine on. Is your mouse detected? Does it function properly?

wannabe1

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
okkk....just booting up the old laptop so I can access here while Im there on the other...its really old and takes a few minutes to get going.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
sorry the ole laptop is having its own meltdown.. Im there and I found the USB Legacy Support and it is set to AUTO

What setting would you like?

As far as it goes...the blue bar reads Main/Advanced/Power/Boot/Exit...can I use exit to leave the Bios setup?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 10:11 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What are the other options available for this (use + or - to select different options)?

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Enable Disable or Auto

The PS/2 mouse function control is also set on AUTO.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Set it to Enable, save the settings, and exit BIOS. Power the machine down, connect your USB mouse, and power back on.

Does the USB mouse now function?