Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word and MS Works Question

• Please log in to reply

alaska

alaska

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am typing mass quantities of text. Does anyone know how much text a single document can hold in MS Word as opposed to MS Works? Also, MS Word (my software of choice) will stop spell checking after I hit about 25 pages in a single document. Any idea why or what I can do to correct that? Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know that thre is a word or character limit in either software..at least i've never hit it...(200 pages of the letter a once in highschool..really fun once it printed off..)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory the amount of characters you can have is limited only by the size of physical memory and virtual memory minus the memory taken up by Word/Works.

Spotted on Usenet:

Users have been known to create Word documents upwards of 10,000 pages. The size document your system can handle depends primarily on the amount of available memory and secondarily on the amount of available HD space (speed of the processor is a factor but a less important one). The absolute maximum
size for a Word document is 32 MB, but that's for text only; it doesn't count graphics. Every layer of complexity (graphics, tables, section breaks) causes Word to bog down more.

Edited by Neil Jones, 01 March 2006 - 06:12 PM.

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for the file size information for MS Word and MS Works. Any idea why the spell check doesn't work after about 25 pages ina single file? The auto correct still works, but not the spell check. Thanks :tazz: