Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HSF, wont boot.

• Please log in to reply

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
So I installed a new HSF today, it wouldnt power on at first, so I unplugged and reconnected everything. It ran for a couple hours then just turned itself off. At this point it wouldnt power on, when I hit the power button the fans would attempt to turn, and the led's would flash. I tried another PS, now the fans and LED's come on, but wont boot. Any suggestions. Ive tried everything I can think of.

Pentium D 820
Intel D945PSN
PNY 6600 PCI-e

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Did you clean the processor and replace the thermal compound when you installed the new HSF? If no, you could have fried the CPU itself. Recheck all of your connections and try rebooting. If still no go, unplug the machine and let it set for a few hours (I want the CPU and MoBo at room temp) before plugging it back into an outlet. Visually inspect the Caps on your MoBo - any bulging or leakage?

Keep us posted re: your results.

:tazz:

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I did clean and replace thermal compound. The computer has been sitting for a couple hours, just tried it and nothing. Same situation as before. Sounds like a short somewhere to me, but I cant find anything.

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
So I just tried booting outside of the case, w/ board still on mobo tray, wouldnt go. With board off tray it works. Gotta be a short, but I cant tell where.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Glad to learn that you may have isolated it. What doesn't fit the pattern is that you were able to run for a couple of hours after first replacing the HSF. At this point you could always try composite washers between your standoffs and the board and between the board and the screw heads but I'm not sure that is going to get it. Same comment re: nylon standoffs. Common sense would lend suspicion to the HSF fan itself or the PSU but that doesn't necessarily follow either. It could be another connector. Look to what you did and didn't have on the board when you got it to boot off the tray outside the case. I've also seen this happen when a PSU with no (-5V) circuit was used to replace a PSU with a (-5V) circuit but this doesn't sound applicable to your situation.

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The new HSF has a mounting bracket that sits underneath the board, thats the only change that had been made. Thats got to be the culprit, now how to fix it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cover that bracket with electrical tape

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Has anybody else seen a similar problem with the Big Typhoon brackets?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You could also use a thin rubber gasket sheet on the tray directly under the bracket which may provide more permanence but electrical or engineers tape should do the trick. I'm pretty familiar with Zalman & Thermalright bracket revisions but have never done a typhoon - still trying to recover from the hurricanes that blew through here.

Good Luck - sounds like you might have it nailed.

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Got everything working, actually found burn marks from arcing on one of the screw posts on the tray. Very surprised my board isnt trashed. The tape did the trick, probably would have worked just as well to grind the posts off the tray, but alas dont have the tools to do it.

On the brighter side, my proc is running almost 20 degrees C cooler with this thing.