Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Boot from CD Option in BIOS -- WHY?

• Please log in to reply

qball419

qball419

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok here is my problem...I just recently purchase an old PC from eBay.
It's an IBM NetVista PIII 933 Mhz 256MB RAM. It has a hard drive, CD-ROM, and floppy disk. Pretty
decent setup for less than a hundred bucks. I got this because I wanted to
install Windows XP and to use this PC mainly for the Internet. It came with only
DOS operating system.

The problem is that when I get to the BIOS setup and configuratipon screen, there is no option
to boot from the CD-ROM. So I can't install with my Windows XP CD-ROM. I looked around BIOS and sees that it doesn't even know of a CD-ROM.
Typical for an old PC., I thought. So my question is: how would you get around this?
What should I do?? It's been sitting around in my room for a few days now. I am not sure how to proceed.
Can you guys help?? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Q

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi qball419...

Download the Boot Disk Set from Microsoft. This will allow you to start the setup using the floppy drive. Be sure to get the set for the operating system you plan to install. This will require six formatted floppy diskettes.

Some older machines didn't support booting from CD. The bootdisk set will install the necesary drivers for the CD-ROM drive.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 01 March 2006 - 01:56 AM.

qball419

qball419

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Wannabe1 for the prompt reply. I will download the Boot Disk later on today and try to obtain a floppy drive so I can put it onto a floppy disk. I will report back on my progress. Thanks again for taking your time to help me out.

Q

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :tazz:

Let us know how you get on with this...

wannabe1