Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System won't start up

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF your friend did overclock your system...that can usually be undone by reseting the bios back to defaults.which as i said in my earlier post....would also return the entry for your onboard sound to enabled

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I say we go back to my original post and just shoot the friend

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you, and I agree...

I am going to see what happens tonight, and get back with you tomorrow..

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Good morning Gerryf!!!

Well tweedle dum didn't show up (darn :tazz: ) So, i'm back to fixing it myself.

Here's what is happening now. I did everything with the CMOS battery as you said and tried to start it up in safe mode with networking.... my screen is filled with Dos looking stuff... it starts out as such

multi[0]disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1]WINDOWS\APPSPATCH\dvrmain.sdp

it then fills the screen with the same begining, but different drivers and such... it is frozen there and won't go into any safe mode... I have a bad feeling... do I need to completely reformat? I think something in my windows is corupted..

THANKS!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
instead of safe mode choose ENABLE VGA MODE

also, since we know that overclockin may be an issue, drop into bios by tapping the f1, f2, or del key, and look for BIOS defaults (usually by pressing f7)

this will ensure that your system reverts to basic settings and will no longer be overclocked

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Alright, I reset everything in BIOS, tried to Enable VGA mode, but the screen got stuck on the XP loading screen again... so i've restarted and am at a black screen with DOS like words.. my choices:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode w/ networking
Safe Mode w/ command prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode

Start Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices (I only have one anyway)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll see what gerry says but i would try the safe mode options (in order if they don't work)

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks dsenette I will try and see what I can do

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, well it does the same thing in safe mode w/ networking that it does in safe mode.. it displays the DOS like screen with all the drivers and partitions and such, but refuses to open anything

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the name of the file that it stops on? is it always the same file?

Advertisements

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
very perceptive oh wise ones...

it always stops on:
multi[0]disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1]\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i was hoping SO VERY HARD..that it wasn't that....gonna do some research....and also gonna wait for gerry on this one as he's been at this game a little longer than i...but i know that hanging on mup.sys isn't a good thing at all

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alright...i'm gonna post this so i don't lose the instructions...but don't do this yet...i really would like to get gerry's opinion here before we move forward...as i know that there are some pretty bad errors that can occur with mup.sys

boot to your xp cd and get to the recovery console (boot to the cd and choose the R option to repair windows...it will ask you what installation...choose the one you have and press enter) and we're gonna replace mup.sys with the original file from the cd

at the command prompt at the recovery console type

expand d:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers

assuming that your cdrom drive is D:
then do

expand d:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\dllcache

again..assuming that cdrom is d:

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
grrr.. I didn't want to hear that!!!! I don't have the CD in my immediate reach (i'm at work), is there anything I can try to download to mimic it, or should I just take notes and try it all over the weekend?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have access to any xp cd of the same version as the one that's installed on the system? to replace this file...it just has to be AN xp cd..not your xp cd