Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Play 10, Real Player

• Please log in to reply

NancyLieder

NancyLieder

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Recently several things happened kind of simultaneously that might apply.

1. I upgraded my Trend Micro to Internet Security 2006, which has features I did not have before. Took all the standard options during upgrade.
2. I upgraded my Windows Media Player to version 10. Can't go back as MicroSoft no longer offers version 9 as a download.

What I am experiencing now is that if I have a video or audio on my computer, it plays in both WMP 10 and RealPlayer. BUT, if I try to pull in as a stream from the internet, streaming video from Crooks and Liar, streaming audio, etc, they both choke.

What I noted in looking at the technical info provided is that they both are choking in the SAME .dll and at the SAME address!

wininet.dll
offset 000793a3

The error code is something odd, not listed in the standard self help lists,

error code 0xc00(bunch of zeros)0005

Do I have a bad .dll? I just reinstalled WMP 10 from Microsoft website, and the problem is the same. I have XP 2000 as an operating system and have applied all the changes, am on the regular automatic update schedule.

Edited by NancyLieder, 01 March 2006 - 12:20 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the upgrade of your trend micro include the installation of a firewall? if so...make sure the settings of that firewall allow streaming media

NancyLieder

NancyLieder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, here's what I did, and I got the video!

1. went into the Trend Micro area for Network Security and entered the Personal Firewall area.
2. it is set to 'blocks incoming traffic unless allowed in the exception list'.
3. noting that Firefox, my browser, is checked as Active, I unchecked it for a test. Was unsure what the check meant, but figured the test might show me that.
4. downloaded video from Crooks and Liars and it played!!

So, that was the answer!

Once again, Geeks to Go comes thru!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad we could help....but...just as a note...the steps you just described...seem to say that you basically completely disabled the firewall...a better method would be to undo what you just did...and then add the specific programs (WMP, realplayer..whatever) to the exceptions list...this way you're still protected

NancyLieder

NancyLieder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I went back into Trend Micro firewall area and did that. Firefox is checked as ACTIVE in the firewall for both incoming and outgoing.

I ADDED Windows Media Player and Real Player as you suggested and allowed incoming streams for them both, and am able to get streaming data.

Thanks again!