Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Button doesnt work!

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
on a user's laptop, windows 2000 professional sp4 the start menu isnt working. when you click the start button it indents as if pressed down, but no start menu comes up at all. the button stays down and is not responsive. i ran a spyware scan and there is none, doesnt appear to be any viruses either.

has anyone had this problem? the user is only in town for a couple of days, and im not sure what the problem is... any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ctrl-alt-del
task manager

go to processes
choose explorer.exe
end task

now go to
FILE > RUN
type explorer.exe
<enter>

explorer will reload...does issue repeat?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello hulud. Looking through all of your posts, it is obvious you are working on machines for a company. Is it yours? Or are you IT staff for a different company??

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
yes, the problem remains

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Hello hulud. Looking through all of your posts, it is obvious you are working on machines for a company. Is it yours? Or are you IT staff for a different company??

i do it support for a manufacturing company

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
After further review, we've determined that you have not violated our terms of service, and this post will be reopened. Accept our apologies.

Edited by admin, 01 March 2006 - 04:50 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
hulud please continue...

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hulud..I am very sorry for my quick response earlier. Please understand that we HAVE had instances of abuse of that particular policy in the past, and I was too quick to jump the gun on this one. After more review of ALL of your posts, I have to agree with admin that you are NOT here to abuse our time and free help. As gerry stated to me himself, NO one IT person knows it all, and you are no exception to that rule.

Again, I apologize, and I hope you'll continue with this thread and let the Staff here help you get this sorted out.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
wow, thanks guys. no apologies necessary! i understand that every forum must have rules like that, and i have no intention of violating any policies. i appreciate the help!

i did what gerry suggested, but that did not fix the problem, so i am working from that point right now.

Edited by hulud, 02 March 2006 - 09:08 AM.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hey guys, this problem is now solved, so you can lock the thread up after all! :tazz:

for your information, the problem was fixed by running autoruns (log here) and taking the following steps from there:

boot into safe mode

rename c:\winnt\system32\avg6.exe to avg6.bad

run AutoRuns again:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(DELETE) Microsoft DLL Verifier

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(DELETE) Eaom
(DELETE) System Update Service

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved
(DELETE) Web Folders
(UNCHECK) {506F4668-F13E-4AA1-BB04-B43203AB3CC0}
(UNCHECK) {D66DC78C-4F61-447F-942B-3FB6980118CF}