Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant ping. Explain how please.

• Please log in to reply

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I cannot ping from computer to computer over a wireles network.

I tried the ip addy and the computer name but nothing works.

Do i have to change the ip address? Is there any rule on the ip addresses for wireless networks??

What should the ip address be for 1 computer and what should the other ip addy be. ( the one with the wireless modem in it )

Advertisements

Michael101

Michael101

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
you first have to find the IP adress of both and then go to Cmd (start run cmd) and type ping and then the computers IP adress it should say the computer and the spedd etc

Sam_G

Sam_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yes i am way ahead of that stage michael101.

I have the ip addresses and i try to ping them but i get no response.

Do i have to change the default gateway??

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Sam,

For all computers involved, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Do i have to change the default gateway??

Why would you need to do this? How is your network setup?

Sam_G

Sam_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
My network consists of 2 computers. Sam(mine) Dad (Dads)

I am running a netcomm 1200+4w ( Wireless ) and the router is hooke to dad by a usb and lan cable.

His ip is 192.168.0.1 and the router by default is set to 192.168.1.1. My ip is 10.0.0.1 and my default gateway is 10.0.0.1 and dads is the same default gateway.

Is this all correct.????

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Is this all correct.????

No. It would have been easier if you had posted the whole ipconfig /all.

On Sam, please do the following:
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [192.168.1.3], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [192.168.1.1] --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in these two DNS Servers [You need to find your DNS Servers in your ipconfig, since you did not post it] --> Press OK.

On Dads:
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [192.168.1.2], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [192.168.1.1] --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in these two DNS Servers [You need to find your DNS Servers in your ipconfig, since you did not post it] --> Press OK.

Restart both computers, and then try to ping each other; are you able to?

Sam_G

Sam_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
[/quote]

No i am still not able to ping. Should i be able to ping to the router???

How do i change the settings on th router?

Im thinking there might be a firewall stopping it as well..

Sam_G

Sam_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Sam,

What is the actual IP of your router? Perhaps I got confused. Aside from the pinging, how's your network running? Are you able to connect to the Internet on both computers?

Should i be able to ping to the router???

Yes, you should be able to do this. If you cannot, then it means there's a problem.

Im thinking there might be a firewall stopping it as well..

If that's the case, try restarting both computers into Safe Mode with Networking, and then ping between the two; are you able to?

- Dan

Sam_G

Sam_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Hi Sam,

What is the actual IP of your router?
- Dan

The ip is 192.168.1.1 and thats what my default gateway is. Thats what you said didnt you?
My network is running good.

I can do file sharing and it connect through the wireless with an excellent signal. I have played games over the wireless network so its all good.

I just need help pinging.And i have just received the modem for broadband but i dont think i need it because i have the wireless router. Its with telstra Bigpond ©. Is there any way that i can use the modem from telstra and connect that to the wireless router and use that over the network as well ???

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I just need help pinging.And i have just received the modem for broadband but i dont think i need it because i have the wireless router. Its with telstra Bigpond ©. Is there any way that i can use the modem from telstra and connect that to the wireless router and use that over the network as well ???

Does your router have an in-built modem? Are you already connected to the Internet?

If not, then simply plug your modem into the router's WAN port. Then follow any installation steps provided with the modem... Once done, you should be able to connect to the Internet.

I'm really not sure why you can't PING anything. Usually this would suggest that you have no connectivity; however since you're able to share files, play games etc then it means you do have a connection to your network. The only thing that I can think of is that you may not be doing it properly.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: netstat -rn and press enter; please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Also, please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' -- now type: net view ;; please copy/paste the results into your next reply.

Sam_G

Sam_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Does your router have an in-built modem? Are you already connected to the Internet?

Yes it does.

I have fixed the problem and i thank you very much.

Peace Out!!