Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby/sleep problem

• Please log in to reply

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
also, two more annoyances that have now happened since that last step . . .
every time i boot up my computer, i'm being prompted with the System Configuration Utility window.
in the bottom right, i think they're the startup icons, i have a little HP icon that is quickly flashing (almost undetectable) and when I hover my mouse over it, it disappears, only to reappear as soon as i take my pointer away.

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hempinBeeRad...

Hopefully computerwiz12890 won't mind me poking my nose in here... :whistling:

For the configuration window, tick the checkbox to not show it again and click "Ok".

Let's do a quick search. Open Search from the Start Menu, select "All Files and Folders", set it to search "Hidden Files and Folders", and type HP in the file name box. Click "Search".

List for us all the results of this search.

wannabe1

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
There are an [bleep]-load of results for the HP search. How do i copy/paste the text results? I can only copy the actual files.
Also, I'm not finding the checkbox for the configuration problem.
Sorry that I need to have everything laid out for me - thanks for helping, though.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Hopefully computerwiz12890 won't mind me poking my nose in here... :whistling:

I always appreciate your input wannabe1 :blink:

For the HP stuff, take screenshots for us.

Before I give you the drivers for your video card, please create a restore point. To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

For your video card drivers, download them from http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html

If you're unsure how to install them, there are instructions on that page too.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 April 2006 - 07:39 AM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, I downloaded the files that came with the link "Primary Download Site." Do I need to download and install anything else from that site?
Also, I've attatched the screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You don't have to download anything else. Double-click on the file you downloaded and that should install the drivers.

As for the screenshot, I meant a screenshot of all the HP stuff that was too much for you to copy and post. :whistling:

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
oops :whistling: when looking through the HP files that i searched, i think i found the where it's coming from. i posted that screenshot. if that isn't it, then i'll make the rest of the screen shots. it'll be a [bleep] of a lot because there are 4443 files that were found.
Also, for the TrayApp instructions, do i need to take an precautionary measure before I start that process?

Edited by hempinBeeRad, 12 April 2006 - 11:28 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
For the TrayApp thing, create a restore point, just in case, and then proceede.

To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Did you install the video card stuff? Are you still having the restart issue?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 12 April 2006 - 08:04 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it seems that the TrayApp problem was solved when i followed wannabe1's advice on how to alleviate the problem of System Configuration Utility showing up every time i boot. but i went through the process you provided and removed TrayApp with the CleanUp program.

it seems that i cannot post a screenshot like i had said. i'm getting the message that i've gone over my per post or global limit. the picture was first a JPEG at 228 KB and then i saved it as a GIF at 184 KB but i still can't post it.

and, alas, the restart problem is still occuring. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
*Heavy Sigh*

Let's start collecting information again...maybe I'll spot something this time.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

And now Event Viewer...

Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's at the time when your computer had an error or froze. If there is an exlamation mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section. Post the description along with the source so I know what the description belongs to.

Advertisements

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright, i've attached both a logfile and a rtf document with the descriptions and sources (in parenthesis) of errors and warnings. i didn't include a number of warnings because i knew what they were - troubles when i was first installing itunes and musicmatch jukebox.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Quick question: Have you tried uninstalling itunes and musicmatch jukebox? It could possibly solve your problem, if that's when it all started...

As for the logs, I want to check the Eventviewer log thoroughly, so I'll need a bit of time. As for HijackThis, I want you to try something, if uninstalling itunes and musicmatch didn't work:

Unplug the internet wire from your computer, so you cannot connect. Now go to Add/Remove programs and remove:

McAfee (anything with McAfee in it's name)
Microsoft Anti-Spyware

shut down the computer and power it up again. Then try restarting. If the problem still occurs, reinstall those 2 applications and then plug the internet wire back in.

Another thing we could try is flushing system restore:

1. Turn off System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click on My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click on the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click on My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click on the System Restore tab.
  • UNcheck Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
Now see if your restart function is working again.

If that doesn't work, let me know how much RAM your computer has. In addition, I'll get to work on analyzing the EventViewer log.

How much RAM does your computer have?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 April 2006 - 01:48 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sorry it's taken so long for me to reply - crunch time here at school.

I followed all those steps and nothing worked.

also, my computer has 512MB of RAM

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hey hempinBeeRad. I sure has been a while :whistling:

Let's try a Windows XP Repair. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

If that doesn't work, let me know and I will research the event errors that you gave me a while back.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 23 April 2006 - 03:14 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Thanks! Okay, it might take me awhile to get to this - this is the beginning of finals week for me.