Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed new "C" drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
About a month ago I bought a new 200G Maxtor HD to replace my "C" drive. UNfortunately, I used the Maxtor MaxBlast 4 software that came with it to copy the old "C" to the new "C". The software allows this. Unfortunately in doing so, the new HD had a DDO installed on it; it should have only done this if I had an old OS, since Windows XP Pro recognizes drives larger than 137G. There appeared to be no way to remove the DDO without basically starting over and erasing all data from the disk. Also, many Norton files like Go Back and Ghost wouldn't work with the new HD.

After 3 weeks, I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall the New "C" drive; I still had the old "C" drive sitting on my desk. I used the Maxtor utility PowerMax to do a complete low level format of new drive, and then used the MAxtor MAxBlast4 to copy old "C" drive to the new drive. It seems to have worked except - when I restart the computer the BIOS loads and sits there for about 30 seconds. Then I get 2 beeps and a screen which says "Primary drive 1 not found. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run setup. I hit F1 and the windows program (on the new disk, the only one connected) starts and the disk loads just like the old "C" drive. I can load programs, work with them, etc. Hitting F2 simply loads the BIOS setup. My Computer reports the new drive has 189G Total Size; Free Space 172G.

I turned off the computer and restarted it only to have it do the same thing BIOS hangs, I hit F1 and Windows starts and everything works.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Is there a way to eliminate having to hit F1 everytime I reboot? Can I continue to use the new drive realizing I have to hit F1 each time the BIOS tells me it cannot find the disk?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how is the drive jumpered?
where is it connected on the IDE cable?

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

how is the drive jumpered?
where is it connected on the IDE cable?

Drive is jumpered Cable select and is connected to end of cable.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try switching that jumper to master.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

try switching that jumper to master.

Switched it to Master and still didn't start properly. Same as before.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Still working on this problem. (By the way I have the latest BIOS update.). Even though I had to wait for 30 - 45 seconds for the BIOS to tell me "Primary drive not found", I could then hit F1 and Windows would start and seemingly work fine.

I then reinstalled my 2nd HD (as slave) and restarted the computer. The BIOS screen came up as usual and immediately gave me a second screen saying "Secondary drive not found." I didn't have to wait the 30-45 seconds; no more "Primary drive 1 not found." Hitting F1 again takes me into Windows, and in MY Computer can see both drives and both are reported as working properly. Windows Explorer shows the contents of each drive and I can access files on both.

It seems I am making progress. Both drives are jumpered properly; BIOS shows both drives; both are set to Auto Detect.

Obviously something is still wrong. Maybe this will help you experts. It is a detective's dream.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
once you're in windows do start > run > msconfig..go to the boot.ini tab post what's in there

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
bootini.JPG

Hope you can magnify.

Edited by Impala1ss, 02 March 2006 - 03:46 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...how many partitions did you set up on the drive?

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

hmm...how many partitions did you set up on the drive?

Since it copied the original HD which came with the Dell computer, it created, it appears, 2 partitions but the 1st. may be something Dell does (according to Maxtor) to put its diagnostic software in, and the 2nd. is everything else. The first is a FAT 32MB partition; the 2nd is NFTS. My original "C" drive was set up the same way by Dell, so when it was copied (by MaxBlaster4, it copied the same way. I am only interested in having one partition but certainly can live with the Dell setup.

It's strange that originally BIOS couldn't "see" the new drive to load it but now that I put the 2nd HD back in it sees the new "C" but "can't" load the 2nd. HD. Of course hitting F1 loads everything. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and you've done a bios update?

(the 1st partition is the dell recovery partition)

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes, I have the latest BIOS.

mxyztplk

mxyztplk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Try removing the jumper completely. Had this issue before on a Dell Optiplex.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download TWEAKUI.EXE from the following site:

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Run it. Computer > drives. Check all the drives and click OK. Any difference?

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Try to download TWEAKUI.EXE from the following site:

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Run it. Computer > drives. Check all the drives and click OK. Any difference?

They were already checked and recognized. I also rejumpered both drives to Cable Select and MAster/slave. The problem remains both ways.

Edited by Impala1ss, 05 March 2006 - 11:27 AM.