Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email configuration SMTP

• Please log in to reply

tom_george

tom_george

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
HI having problems connecting @mail account to microsoft outlook. understand that i need an SMTP? (is this right?) i can recieve email via outlook from @mail account but cannot send anything.
thanks for any help

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hi there tom_george!
inorder to set up outlook you need to know the names of both your sending and revcieving mail servers. you need to contact them and find out the names . then we can help you.

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hi, checked mail servers they are as follows:

my incoming server is mail.hms05.com and outgoing is smtp.uk.aol.com

I can recieve mail just not send any. When doing a test all the boxes are ticked but it will not send a test message. It says "please verify the email address is correct" which it is!

If you need any more data just ask and i will do my best

Thanks for your help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're on aol(obviously)...have you contacted them and verified all the server info?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
ok we have a slight issue here...
aol uses imap servers not SMTP, you need set it so that you are connecting to imap servers inorder to check your email.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
9 Enter the ‘Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:’ as follows: imap.uk.aol.com.

10. Enter the ‘Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' as follows: smtp.uk.aol.com.

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
sorry your solution didn't work...
i want my work email server (mail.hms05.com) to be configured/linked up to Outlook. I can recieve emails from mail.hms05.com server through outlook but not send emails via mail.hms05.com server using Outlook. Any ideas?
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you spoken with the IS department where you work? Generally...corporate email system's aren't set up to be accessed publicly like your standard isp mail server....you really need to verify the settings with your IS department as there should be nothing dealing with aol in your configuration of this is a work based email system.

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok will give that a go. thanks for your help.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I have the same problem just not with AOL but I can receive mail just not send it so i asked my ISP and they said it is because to send mail you have to be on an actual computer set up with the right ISP. so AOL mail can be sent from an PC set up with AOL, Tiscali from a PC set up with Tiscali (just examples) so i then asked a network administrator from somewhere and he verified this. Wierd