Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer issue

• Please log in to reply

DevotedElite

DevotedElite

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I am posting this for my mom since her Internet Explorer will not allow her to go anywhere. Her internet connection (dial-up) is fine and connects without any problems, however, Internet Explorer gives her the error: "Internet Explorer could not open the search page". Even instant messengers will not work. This is not a problem that happens only ocasionally; it happens with every web page all the time.

I have tried resetting the web settings for internet explorer and it didn't resolve the problem.

Note: I had the same problem on my computer a few days ago. My internet connection worked fine, and I could even go into messengers (and open emails in Mozilla Mail), but Mozilla would not allow me to go to any webpages. I did nothing special to fix the problem and just waited it out. (It seemed to have worked itself out after a few hours.)
Nothing except a Sims2 (store-bought) disc had been shared between the computers around the time the issue started. We use the same ISP but have never had problems like this before.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi DevotedElite! welcome to geeks to go!!
i am a little bit confused her, can your mums computer even conect to the internet at all?

also if you could have her do the folowing that whould be swell:
Update IE:
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

DevotedElite

DevotedElite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you very much for replying... I appreciate the help :tazz:

The computer does connect to the internet, but the connection is slower than usual and it won't even connect to instant messengers.

First I tried method 1. I did not get any errors during that process but it did take a while for the System File Checker to complete. I rebooted and checked Internet Explorer but it still is not working properly.

I tried method 2 as well; after right clicking ie.inf (and then clicking the Install option), I got this message:
The file 'IEXPLORE.EXE' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Also, yesterday she mentioned that before this problem started, there was an automatic update that was taking a very long time to download but she was disconnected before it had the chance to fully download.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello DevotedElite and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I'd like for you to try Dial-a-fix and see if that solves your problem.

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the bottom, click on Tools. Select Repair/Reinstall IE and then click on GO. You may or may not need your XP CD. When it is done fixing, restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, open dial-a-fix again. At the top, check the two items called Install Windows Script Host and Install VB6 runtime. Then click on the button at the bottom that says GO.

When it is done fixing, restart your computer again. After it boots up, try your internet out.

If any problems occur or if the situation gets worse, you can go back to the restore point I had you create. But this should fix the problem if the problem is being caused by corruption. If this does not solve your problem, I suspect you may have an infection.

Let me know how it goes.

DevotedElite

DevotedElite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks, computerwiz12890, but that didn't fix the problem either. It didn't change the issue for better or for worse...it stayed exactly the same.

Internet explorer still gives the same error message that it did before

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You said, "Nothing except a Sims2 (store-bought) disc had been shared between the computers around the time the issue started."

Just for the heck of it (although I think it's totally unrelated), try removing the Sims game and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, I suspect an infection...

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.